The great yolk color debate

Pics
Brilliant @EggWalrus! I won’t crack any of the past few eggs I have until I get that so I can “score” them accurately!
Just go to DSM dot com. I got mine a few years back and the scale only went as dark add 15 back then. Someone said it goes darker to 20 now, but you'll have to check with them to be sure.

I am interested in this article here that points out that visual color is but one characteristic of carotenoids and this study says the relation of carotenoid content to yolk color was not proved.

Something to think about while trying to provide additional varied nutrients for the girls...

https://www.agriculturejournals.cz/publicFiles/124063.pdf

You need to email DSM and request a Yolk Color Fan. Most of my yolks are about 10-12 on the DSM Scale.
View attachment 1566076
Just do a search, they sent me some for free.
Where did you get that exactly? I am trying to get that version and the one used for fish. DSM site contacted so far does not even respond to my queries.

I am interested in this article here that points out that visual color is but one characteristic of carotenoids and this study says the relation of carotenoid content to yolk color was not proved.

Something to think about while trying to provide additional varied nutrients for the girls...

https://www.agriculturejournals.cz/publicFiles/124063.pdf
Look closely at details in abstract. Method used to measure beta-carotene directly did not correlate with apparent color. That means to me that other carotenoids that are not beta-carotene are impacting observed coloration.

One of the things I notice when there is a lot of forage available to the chickens is not just that the yolks get more orange, but that the density changes as well, so that the yolks are much firmer and really stand up in the pan.

For those that use additive like paprika or marigold, have you found that egg density is effected as well? Or just the color?

One of the things I notice when there is a lot of forage available to the chickens is not just that the yolks get more orange, but that the density changes as well, so that the yolks are much firmer and really stand up in the pan.

For those that use additive like paprika or marigold, have you found that egg density is effected as well? Or just the color?
Firmness still a problem with my older American Dominiques.

Well, I sell my eggs, so that dark yellow color is something EVERYONE comments on and raves about (as well as the firmness of the yolks and whites, and tough shells). If you saw my feed bill you'd know I don't skimp and that my ladies get a full and varied diet while maintaining a healthy nutritional plane based on a commercial ration ;) But if that lovely orange yolk makes my customers happy and coming back for more (and dang am I struggling to keep up with demand, with molting fully upon us! I haven't been able to make a quiche in ages!) then yes a few sprinkles of paprika are going in the feed since winter is fast approaching and grass is getting eaten up quick! I don't see how it's different than throwing out red bell peppers or pumpkins for them to eat (which I do as well, when I have them).

Where did you get that exactly? I am trying to get that version and the one used for fish. DSM site contacted so far does not even respond to my queries.
I got it straight from Mr Winter at DSM in Missouri. It's probably been 4 or 5 years though. If they aren't responding to email, make sure they are still in biz. If they are, but not responding to email, send them a hand written letter via snail mail along with a dollar or two and request a fan. I doubt it costs one dollar per fan to have them printed and assembled, but it could cost millions to give them away for free. Plus a hand written request let's them know you are serious about possibly doing biz with them in the future. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom