The Grilling/Barbequing thread!

Just something to wet your whistle on a fine Sunday, I make about 150lbs of these baby's every yr from my grandmothers old family recipe. And what a pleasure and the grill.

AL

10364_img_0169.jpg

10364_img_0168.jpg

Last edited:
I read all the post, and still no recipe or method for cooking chicken, other than the oven bake and beer chicken. How do the firemen fund raisers do their chicken? I tried grilling, it turned out bad. Hope to see some advice.

Quote:
~~

Steve Hit the nail on the head, taking your time also adds to the pleasure of BBQing, so many folks get caught up in the whole time factor, you just need to plan for that when smoking a piece of meat.

AL
~~

I think the time is the best part of it....cooking a 'normal' dinner you have several things going at once trying to juggle and balance it all... I like getting part of it started and out of the way while I move on to other stuff.....or take a nap
wink.png

****them's some mighty fine lookin' links ya got there, AL****

When grilling over open coals some folks tend to burn things, being able to judge and regulate the heat is paramount, example if you hold your open hand 12" above the coals for 3 seconds and have to pull it away your temp is 350 degrees. if you cant hold your hand there for even a second it is way to hot 500+ and your meat will burn. you must also be a good judge of how well your coals burn and how long they will last. You certainly want it to be hot enough to finish off the meat and gradually get cooler as you add sauce so it too doesn't burn. All of this takes time, preperation and skill, That is the big reason why so many more people use gas they refuse to take the time to learn using the ( gas is faster Motto ). Why does everything allways have to be fast fast fast, most good food can't be rushed so slow down and enjoy you might like it.

Just remember folks BBQing is the oldest profession not, well you know, think about this way cave man makes fire the next thing he does is put a piece of meat over it, Wala BBQ.

AL

Last edited:
Quote:
Agree completely.....HOWEVER.... gonna hafta defend the gas just a bit here
big_smile.png

Gas is very useful when one doesn't HAVE the time. The slow and tasty and fun method pretty much requires a day off, but my gas grill lets me enjoy making my food after a crappy day at work, instead of just working more in a hot kitchen or pulling out a TV dinner.
Plus, it has been a confidence builder and a spark for me to learn other ways, a new hobby for my days off...
It's not the ultimate, but it has it's place.............

Any recipes out there for BBQ'd, grilled or smoked cockatiel?? My roommate's birds are driving me insane today with their shrieking!!!
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom