The Gun Thread

Pics
Thank you!

I've heard that Expert Class (in bullseye) is "where good shooters die." In other words, don't get comfortable with it. I don't want to say it's "easy" to get there, but I will say it takes a lot work and practice to get past that to the Master class. Which means lots of ammo, and therefore money.

I can't write music. But I do write "Silly Sally Songs." Some of them are about shooting bullseye matches. Like this one. (My apologies to Grace Slick.)

Drink Water
(Sung to the tune of "White Rabbit")

One cup gets you moving,
But two can wreck your calm.
And the coffee served at matches
Tastes just like styrofoam.
Drink water
Away and at home.

And if you go chasing Xes,
And you're only shooting nines,
Quaff some aqua vita
To calm your heart and mind.
Drink water
When you're out on the line.

No fat and no calories,
Hopefully no carcinogens.
And it's something your body needs anyway
To be replenished again and again.
Drink water,
I tell you, my friend!

It keeps your logic and coordination
From falling sloppy dead,
And it's good for your joints and muscles
And that grey stuff in your head.

Remember what this song said:
Water instead!
Water instead!

Yes! I'm in the Expert class, but haven't shot a match in many, many years. I went to the National Matches at Camp Perry twice.

I got to bunk with Ed Masaki one year on base. That was a fantastic experience. He would weigh trigger pulls on the guns he'd built, and adjust them if necessary. At one point, there were 12? 15? people in that tiny room, each with a gun, or three. Ed warned me that that would happen. :gig

His guns were (and I assume still are) HIGHLY sought after by bulleye shooters. I bet I could sell mine for more than I paid for them. Nope, not for sale.
I haven't shot a match since '08 when I sold the range. I never got to go to Camp Perry, I had to stay home and be responsible. Most years we would send four to six to Perry, all guys from our club, three Masters and three Expert, once a Sharpshooter. I was shooting Master Class when I quit shooting matches. Like you I still have all of my hardware, the hardest gun to learn was the S&W 52 and the one that gave me the most feeling of accomplishment when I shot it well. I tried shooting Hammerli .22 but they were too ammo temperamental, my S&W 41 shot better for me.

Thank you!

I've heard that Expert Class (in bullseye) is "where good shooters die." In other words, don't get comfortable with it. I don't want to say it's "easy" to get there, but I will say it takes a lot work and practice to get past that to the Master class. Which means lots of ammo, and therefore money.
Yeah, there is a glass ceiling that is hard to break through. With the price of match ammo nowadays you have to roll your own and even at that it is still not cheap.

I can't write music. But I do write "Silly Sally Songs." Some of them are about shooting bullseye matches. Like this one. (My apologies to Grace Slick.)

Drink Water
(Sung to the tune of "White Rabbit")

One cup gets you moving,
But two can wreck your calm.
And the coffee served at matches
Tastes just like styrofoam.
Drink water
Away and at home.

And if you go chasing Xes,
And you're only shooting nines,
Quaff some aqua vita
To calm your heart and mind.
Drink water
When you're out on the line.

No fat and no calories,
Hopefully no carcinogens.
And it's something your body needs anyway
To be replenished again and again.
Drink water,
I tell you, my friend!

It keeps your logic and coordination
From falling sloppy dead,
And it's good for your joints and muscles
And that grey stuff in your head.

Remember what this song said:
Water instead!
Water instead!
LOL, I love Gracie and the boys. TD Smith used to come up from Tulsa and shoot matches with us. A VERY interesting man, God rest his soul. He used to coach the shooting team for the Air Force. If you haven't heard of him there is a couple of books written about him. He taught the Coaching class I took to become an NRA Convention Pistol Coach, one of the hardest to obtain. He told us how he used to make his cadets drink a half gallon of water before practice and wouldn't let them relieve themselves until the match was over to teach them concentration. LOL he was a trip, I wanted to go shoot prairie rats with him but never got that chance, he had a shooting desk in the back of his pickup that would telescope up almost ten feet like a barber chair.

I think he had seven planes shot out from under him in Nam, once his wingman had to hold his shot off wing up to make it back. He spent a LOT of time in hospitals where he read a lot.

Imagine falling 5000 ft into a snowbank and after three days being broken limping down the mountain then back up to find the guys he saved from the crash. https://www.newson6.com/story/628eb...emembers-the-life-of-td-smith-after-his-death

IMG_1577.jpg
Hope this isn't considered political... :D:cool:;)

I took a beginner handgun class. I and most of the students were older women who'd never ever even touched a firearm.

Four hours of classroom instruction and lunch were followed by hands-on training. Within an hour we were helping each other load the clips. :lau

I took a beginner handgun class. I and most of the students were older women who'd never ever even touched a firearm.

Four hours of classroom instruction and lunch were followed by hands-on training. Within an hour we were helping each other load the clips. :lau
Load magazines

Great you took it upon yourself to decide it may be time to self protect. When I went to get my conceiled carry permit there was probably 30% female. One older lady said she never shot a gun before. It was cool that after everyone qualified shooting the instructors stayed after with her with a .22 pistol and she shot a gun for the first time in her life. I'm glad people aren't listening to the hysteria of guns going off by themselves and understanding that it isn't going to do anything it was not made to do. Again kudos to you for doing that and clips are a tool designed to hold a "strip" of ammunition to aid in loading the "magazine". Have a great night

Back
Top Bottom