The Gun Thread

Pics
This is NOT an endorsement but just a story.
I had an Uncle who was a subsistance hunter who my Father said sometimes hunted frogs with a .410.
:eek:(My actual reaction.)
Dad explained that he would fire about a foot to the side and a stray pellet or two would catch the frog.
Our game warden used to live a few houses down from me. He said he used to shoot them with a .410 also. I'd go broke doing that, 22lr is CHEAP...

My buddy did find a gig head that is basically like 5 hyperdermic needles with barbs. They require no effort to stick in the frogs. That's important because most all of the ones I get are sitting on floating grass mats in the middle of small bays, not sitting on the bank. A "normal" gig would just push them underwater and they'd swim off.

My two cents on that is that airguns have been around for several centuries. Lewis and Clark had a big bore PCP they took with them on their expedition. Only materials and designs have changed recently. And Youtube has made them very popular.

Regulators are usually wary of high-powered PCPs when they become aware of them. They aren’t legally firearms in most states, so people who are otherwise restricted in firearm ownership can have them. So old-time airgunners used to grumble at the attention airguns get in social media on the concern that more attention will mean more regulation. So I don’t think any powers that be are offering airguns as a substitute for firearms. Airguns just happen to have already existed in that niche but were unknown to the average shooter until the last 15 years.
Two guy perfected the metered trigger to keep the repeating shots power constant. They sold that to Benjamin aka the Benjamin marauder. They kept the rights to build their line of rifles. This is why air rifles have been more popular the last 15 years.
** A whole regiment was equipped with 20 shot repeating air rifles in the Boer wars.

Two guy perfected the metered trigger to keep the repeating shots power constant. They sold that to Benjamin aka the Benjamin marauder. They kept the rights to build their line of rifles. This is why air rifles have been more popular the last 15 years.
** A whole regiment was equipped with 20 shot repeating air rifles in the Boer wars.
The trigger isn’t what keeps the power constant. The Marauder did have a great factory trigger. But the power level is a function of air pressure and how the hammer and valve interact. Usually that results in a bell curve of power/velocity levels that start low, rise, and fall again after plateauing.

In more recent iterations, Marauders had regulators that made each shot fire from the same pressure level and therefore the same velocity.

I do agree the Marauder was a big reason PCPs became more accessible in recent years. The Marauder was/is a quality platform that was strongly marketed to the general public at an affordable price.

Back
Top Bottom