The guy at the feed store said the chick with the red head is a Cuckoo Maran but I have my doubts.

Sometimes they mark the head to show they are cockerels or for breed identification, at the hatchery.

Cannot necessarily trust the guys working at a feed store. For one thing, it is Marans, with an "s". The "s" is always there, even with a singular bird. It's a French thing.
smile.png

She has pinkish red legs. I am really really hoping it isn't a cockerel as we can't have roosters in the city that I live in. I also knew/know it is spelled Marans, my fingers are just faster than my brain sometimes! I also have a tendency to hit "send" before I put my attachments in my emails :)

Thanks for the input, I really hope it is a Marans since they are so pretty!

You should know within a couple of weeks, whether it is a BR or a Marans. The BR legs should take on a yellow cast fairly quickly. The sex may take a little while longer. On the Barred Rocks, I can tell the sex either by head spot at hatch, or just by looking at them at the 4-5 week mark. The cockerels are very bright with wider white bars. The cockerels will sport red combs and little red wattles at 5 or 6 weeks which is a dead give-a-way. The pullets have noticeably darker appearance.

Here's to hoping you have a Marans pullet.

Back
Top Bottom