The guy at the feed store said the chick with the red head is a Cuckoo Maran but I have my doubts.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pinkaliboo, Feb 2, 2012.

1. pinkaliboo

pinkaliboo Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sometimes they mark the head to show they are cockerels or for breed identification, at the hatchery.

Cannot necessarily trust the guys working at a feed store. For one thing, it is Marans, with an "s". The "s" is always there, even with a singular bird. It's a French thing. [​IMG]

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Does it have pink legs? If it does Marans is a possibility. But I had a BR with pink legs as a chick and they're yellow now.

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Could be a marans or a barred rock. What color are it's little legs?

5. pinkaliboo

pinkaliboo Out Of The Brooder

She has pinkish red legs. I am really really hoping it isn't a cockerel as we can't have roosters in the city that I live in. I also knew/know it is spelled Marans, my fingers are just faster than my brain sometimes! I also have a tendency to hit "send" before I put my attachments in my emails :)

Thanks for the input, I really hope it is a Marans since they are so pretty!

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You should know within a couple of weeks, whether it is a BR or a Marans. The BR legs should take on a yellow cast fairly quickly. The sex may take a little while longer. On the Barred Rocks, I can tell the sex either by head spot at hatch, or just by looking at them at the 4-5 week mark. The cockerels are very bright with wider white bars. The cockerels will sport red combs and little red wattles at 5 or 6 weeks which is a dead give-a-way. The pullets have noticeably darker appearance.

Here's to hoping you have a Marans pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by