The Happy Flock at 20 Weeks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jujube2, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jujube2

jujube2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First egg today!

2. apickchick

apickchick New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    My girls are 23 weeks and we just got our first 4 eggs over the weekend! We have 14 hens so we anticipate many more to come! They were all perfect and cute. We are waiting until we have a few more to eat them!

3. jujube2

Jul 18, 2013
    Hello,

We have 23 girls and so far only 1 egg. 4 roosters who have started trying to mate so we will be making some changes. We checked today, no eggs. My son just told me that we should have left the 1 egg until they laid more. So we will wait patiently, for now we will leave the golf balls in the egg boxes.

Thanks for Sharing
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. apickchick

apickchick New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    I had two roosters....one was tasty. The remaining roo is mating with the girls but they aren't losing too many feathers over it and he is still friendly - so for now- he can stay. If he gets too aggressive, he will be chicken dinner #2. Good luck with your girls!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Just beautiful!

6. jujube2

Jul 18, 2013
    Hello,

We have 3 that are pretty mean, 2 sussex and the 1 jersey giant. Our 4th roo is so big and gentle, he is a gentlemen with our little ladies. Braks up their squabbles by running between them looking first at one and then the other. This is the dark brahma roo. How did you handle your nasty roo? We have been forced to give the 3 of them thier separate coop and keep them inside when the girls and the brahma roo are in the run. There is one hen who simply refuses to go in the 3rd coop with the other hens. She instead insists on going in the rooster den with the 3 roosters. Is this normal? She's one of 2 new hampshires. 2 days ago we saw the jersey pin her down and mate with her, otherwise we had only seen them hanging out with no problem.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

These are the 4 chickens sharing the rooster den. The jersey is sometimes really mean even to the 2 sussex, all 3 pull the hens combs which is why we keep them separated. The jersey is the only one so far who tries to mate with the hens.
    [​IMG]
    This is our gentleman.

7. apickchick

apickchick New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    My only solution was to eat him. I tried to re-home him but no one wants a rooster with an attitude problem. Good luck - glad you have areas to separate them.

8. jujube2

Jul 18, 2013
    [​IMG] Well that sounds like a good solution. We have finished a third coop specifically for the boys and our little new hampshire is now with the girls. The sussex decided he would terrify her yesterday, she had no problem going in the hen house without pecking us following that episode![​IMG]she was a frazzled bundle of nerves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by