The Hawk Struck Again ...

Both pictures are sittin funny IMO. The first was bird on floor after amoment or two of entering i think it was trying to size up its new predicament. It just sat there sprawled out staring at me. After i donned gloves and picked it up it sunk talons into one so tigbt it broke my skin through the leather and i removed the glove with my teeth to get my hand out and got the 2nd picture, bird still clenching that glove.
The eyes are yellow. Is that something that changes as hawks mature?
Your bird will develop red eyes likely by fall.

Not if it gets found by the larger predators first! :fl

Looks like he already has.

A game warden/conservation officer will come pick that up from you and take it out somewhere to release it if you call. They might also cruise by in the future if they know it attacked your chicken though, which would be inconvenient if other hawks were to have unfortunate accidents.

Alternatively, it is a nice time of year for a drive out into the woods a bit. Your friend there could come along and find a new home far, far away. Hawks should not be seen coming out of people's cars, however.

Looks like he already has.

A game warden/conservation officer will come pick that up from you and take it out somewhere to release it if you call. They might also cruise by in the future if they know it attacked your chicken though, which would be inconvenient if other hawks were to have unfortunate accidents.

Alternatively, it is a nice time of year for a drive out into the woods a bit. Your friend there could come along and find a new home far, far away. Hawks should not be seen coming out of people's cars, however.
you forgot to say :oops::duc:confused:

My suggestion is you release hawk at or near point of capture as soon as possible without causing it undue harm. I have tangled with raptors many times and they seem quite capable of learning who and where not to hunt.

Don't fergit...
Big Brother is always watching...
:smack:rant:mad:

of course i could just keep the girls cooped up awhile... Missy can heal up... the bad birds can come back to the feathers they left behind and may find a extra bonus laced with some store bought chicken necks to take away.... :gig

My suggestion is you release hawk at or near point of capture as soon as possible without causing it undue harm. I have tangled with raptors many times and they seem quite capable of learning who and where not to hunt.
so i also hope they will decide not to hunt my hens... but they dont seem too alarmed by getting caught in the act.

Big brother is not always a G-man, can also simply be a neighbor concerned about natural resources.
right... like the neighbor who has hawks in his tree. Nope... i just have to let them be. I can put out more stuff to feed small wildlife so the hawks have other targets just not near the chickens. And they will still free range and perform their yard duties.

Back
Top Bottom