The Heat: Can I Do More?

You can try watermelon that has been in the fridge overnight and is nice and cool

I have put reflective foil over my coop roof - it will tear, so may be too much of a headache but will reflect heat (our dark green tin roof was a **huge** mistake)

your fan sounds good - hopefully drawing air from a shady not a sunny spot - I eventually cut a hole in the wall near the ceiling and put a little one in to suck the hot air out

and then there is always the - hehem - air conditioner - I actually have one for the coop, a small window unit I bought and keep in the basement just for that with a special stand that I built for in-front-of the coop window - I use it in emergencies and I am actually using it this weekend since I have one sick and several weakened birds that I need to stress out more with parasite treatment tonight and it is supposed to be super-hot today and tomorrow

it pulls out the humidity from the coop nicely: it drips and runs the water out the rear end of the ac - I like that

in the future I would like to run this and actually all our ac in the summer from solar panels to avoid CO2 in the atmosphere to keep us cool - solar to cool would be awesome! we are working on it!

View attachment 1451967 View attachment 1451968 View attachment 1451970 View attachment 1451971
I'd like ac in my coop! The hens don't go in during the day apart from to lay then they are back out next to the fence in the shade. But I could sit in there and cool off! We've had over 30c for the past month over here. Not quite in the 90s or 100s but not being used to hot temp I'm sweating my bits off!!

Back
Top Bottom