THE HELMETED GUINEA FOWL. OF AFRICA VS OF U.S

ludwing

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
SOUTH AFRICA
TO EVERYONE AROUND THE WORLD OF BYC:

ITS NAME IS DELIVERED TO ITS LONG POINTED HELMED THAT LOOK LIKE A BIG STEAK OR SOMETHING. IT IS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL GAMEBIRD AND IS WELL KNOWN FOR ITS PET,SECURITY AND SILLINESS AROUND THE FARMS.

1. THE IS SOME DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE TOO. BODY SIZE,WATTLES,HELMET SIZE. AS THAT DURING THE INBREEDINDING OF THE WILD BREED CRESSED WITH A LAINER DOMESTIC GUINEA SOME CHARACTERISTIC NEVER APPEAR.

2. THE AFRICAN GUINEA FOR INSTANT BEGIN TO LAY WHEN IT REACHES ITS 1 AND HALF YEAR,USAULLY IN THE FOLLOWING SPRING OR LATER ON.
3. THE SHAPE OF THE HELMET IS QUITE DIFFER.
4. BOTH HAVING A STRONG FERTILITY RATE WHEN ALLOWED TO FREERANGE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE U.S GUINEA TYPE BECAUSE IVE BEEN READING SOME POSTS MADE BY BYC MEMBERS AND FOUND SOME USEFUL INFORMATION ABOUT THEIR GUINEAS.

I LIVE IN AFRICA, FROM WHERE THE ORIGIN OF YOUR GUINEAS CAME FROM.

HOW OR WHEN?
1. DO THEY LAY EGGS
2. COOPED OR HOW.
3 TAMMING YOURS
5 RASING THEM WITH OTHER BIRDS.

OUR GUINEAS REALLY ENJOY BEING WITH CHICKENS,DUCKS,TURKEYS OR DUCK. BUT DURING THE BREEDING SEASON IT BECAME WOOOOOOOW!!!! LOT OF CHASING AND FIGHTS AROUNG.

ONE MORE THING. IVE BEEN READING AND SEEING SOME POSTS AND PHOTOS OF A CROSS BREED OF A CHICKEN AND A GUINEA.

WELL I BELIEVE THAT IT ALSO DEPEND ON THE BOND BETWEEN CHICKENS AND GUINEAS AROUND.
OUR GUINEAS HAVE A STRONG BOND WITH CHICKEN AND SOMETIMES THEY MATE, LIKE A THRU MONOGAMUS MATING SYSTEM. ALTHOUGH I HAVE NOTICED THAT IT DISCOURAGE THEY INTERNAL SEXES AND ALLOW THEM TO BE INFERTILE AND NOT LAY OR MATE

ABOUT THE TWO I HAVE SOME PIC FROM A FRIEND WHO HAS SOME U.S GUINEAFOWLS

THE AFRICAN HELMETED GUINEAFOWL

We have a pair of guineas that we bought in February of this year. They are cooped with our chickens at night and freerange the yard during the day. I also have ducks and they all get along. Sometimes the guineas will chase the ducks when I am throwing out treats but they don't hurt them.

The female guinea started laying eggs when she was about 5 months old. She didn't lay very many eggs several she laid in the coop and the others she laid in the yard behind bushes.

My guineas are very friendly and love to sit on your lap and be petted. They beg to come in the house and usually visit at least daily. They have claimed one of the chairs as theirs. They perch on the back of the chair and chat with everyone. If we have any visitors they will be greeted by them. They run up to them and chatter away.

The guineas you have in the pictures are very pretty. I've never seen a helmet as big as the male has in the pic.

Here is a pic of Spiderman and Mary Jane my guineas.

I let my guineas free range during the day and they are only in the coop at night. I have not been able to tame my guineas as Pattyhen has but I have been able to train some of them to fly up on my arm with some feed. My guineas seem to get along with the chickens and ducks. I love the way the African guineas look. The guineas in the picture are the ones that I trained to fly up on my arm. They are 5 months old so I should get eggs from them next spring.

We have a pair of guineas that we bought in February of this year. They are cooped with our chickens at night and freerange the yard during the day. I also have ducks and they all get along. Sometimes the guineas will chase the ducks when I am throwing out treats but they don't hurt them.

The female guinea started laying eggs when she was about 5 months old. She didn't lay very many eggs several she laid in the coop and the others she laid in the yard behind bushes.

My guineas are very friendly and love to sit on your lap and be petted. They beg to come in the house and usually visit at least daily. They have claimed one of the chairs as theirs. They perch on the back of the chair and chat with everyone. If we have any visitors they will be greeted by them. They run up to them and chatter away.

The guineas you have in the pictures are very pretty. I've never seen a helmet as big as the male has in the pic.

Here is a pic of Spiderman and Mary Jane my guineas.

thank you pattyhen for such a lovely response.
and one more thing,i love the body shape of your guineas,they look round like buff quil LOVELY.

as i have said before, these two types differs a little. i wonder how big are your guineas when they are 5months old to be laying. mine at five months still look immature and the blue skin on the sneck is not clearly well. but when reaching a year, it start to show up. mine are tammer but would never let you hold them up like a chicken. only if shes broody shell allow you to come close and hold her but getting sharp pecks.

and the helmet on your guineas if quite smaller with round wettleses.
my guineas are really hard to sex, having females with very helmets and steak like wattlese hanging down. they enjoy laying out side but sometimes do take a bit in the coop. i wish i could have some of this breed and see if they could intergrate with their origins.

I let my guineas free range during the day and they are only in the coop at night. I have not been able to tame my guineas as Pattyhen has but I have been able to train some of them to fly up on my arm with some feed. My guineas seem to get along with the chickens and ducks. I love the way the African guineas look. The guineas in the picture are the ones that I trained to fly up on my arm. They are 5 months old so I should get eggs from them next spring.
thanks pearlguinea for sharing your own expirience about your guines. as pattyhen has said, about having hens laying from early stage of months. this can be hypothesis about during the cross breeding of the domesticated guinea with wild guinea the exchange of chromosomes and segregation of chromosomes during prophase and metaphase some feature have never display. leading to their capability of an early reproduction organs. like some species are cross breed for their meat quility and some for egg laying.

well thank you for your lovely beautiful guinea guinea pic. i love your white guinea looking like a snow game fowl. well the african guinea look very odd with its strange looking helmet
ep.gif

The american guineas must mature faster then the African guineas. At five months old they had their blue color on the heads and lost the little stripes they had as keets. That was an older pic of them but the waddles are alot bigger now on Spiderman and his helmet is a little bigger but not nearly as big as the pic you have. I would say at 5 months old they were very close to full grown in size.

This is my first time of having guineas and they haven't disappointed my at all. They are quite entertaining to watch and if you ever need a bird to pet they are more then happy to be held and petted. Our male guinea talks all the time but the female is pretty quiet. They do have their machine gun voice as I call it but that is when they see something alarming. I love my guineas.

The american guineas must mature faster then the African guineas. At five months old they had their blue color on the heads and lost the little stripes they had as keets. That was an older pic of them but the waddles are alot bigger now on Spiderman and his helmet is a little bigger but not nearly as big as the pic you have. I would say at 5 months old they were very close to full grown in size.

This is my first time of having guineas and they haven't disappointed my at all. They are quite entertaining to watch and if you ever need a bird to pet they are more then happy to be held and petted. Our male guinea talks all the time but the female is pretty quiet. They do have their machine gun voice as I call it but that is when they see something alarming. I love my guineas.
thanks pattyhen again.

i love both types. they are lovely to watch around as they run like, crazy stones.
i have a guinea layed a clutch of eggs from early to mid september,she abondoned the nest beacause i covered it for some protection, she laid another clutch and went broody on it.

the old eggs are still kept in the cool place, and dont wanna eat them or do something on them. all i want is to hatch them. i have no incubator or an broody hen. then last time, the other hen abondon the nest, and took the clutch to a mama, broody muscovy duck hen, she did a great job for me,hatching all the keets althought shes still on her own eggs right now, day 31. im afraid to place the clutch again as that she is close to hatching of her own eggs.

im very desperate and have nothing to do. will the eggs still hatch if i wait until 9 of november, my chicken hen, sheerie
will be broody on the 9 of november as that im counting her eggs now she has 2 eggs and will complete her clutch on the 9november.
will the eggs hatch? and how long must they be before going to the incubation period?

any advice will free my world.....

I wish I could help you with that question. I hope someone can help. I don't know how long the eggs can safely sit before incubating them. You might just give it a try when the hen goes broody and hope for the best.

I wish I could help you with that question. I hope someone can help. I don't know how long the eggs can safely sit before incubating them. You might just give it a try when the hen goes broody and hope for the best.

Hatching eggs start losing viability after 7 days. Eggs that are not turned during storage lose viability even sooner. Egg storage and incubation questions are best asked on the Incubation & Hatching Eggs forum where the experts hang out.

Good morning I am in the process of rescuing two guineas a family was raising several different birds in their back yard and they aparrently moved and abandoned all of them. Some neighbors knew I raised chickens, ducks and turkeys so they came to me and asked if I could help them since they couldn't get animal control to do anything. When I got there I found one young turkey on the verge of starvation and two guineas and a bunch of bones. So sad. I caught the turkey with no problem but have had problems with the guineas. I managed to catch one and have came back several times to attempt to catch the other. I now have brought the otherone back in a cage and have set a trap next to it in hopes the otherone will come to it. My question is if they are raised together will they call to each other and want to be with each other? Wish me luck never had a guinea before but couldn't let them be abandoned cause I am an animal lover.

Back
Top Bottom