The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish

Sounds like you gotta plan there Jim. I am/will be in the same boat right with ya there on fixing up all the pens and such for all my aspirations too, boy I've sure created me-self alot of work, fosho. LOL

Jeff

2. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    Jim welcome to the rhode island red fraternity.There are many who will be happy to help you. You first just need to raise them all up and when they get about five months old and start thinking about putting on their final feathers you start looking for the final good looking bird. If you are not sure you hold them over so you dont make a mistake on maybe a good bird. You need to order you some adult leg bands with numbers and place them on their legs so when they grow you can make comments on a not book pad of their rate of growth, style looks, color when they first crow when they their first eggs as pullets. Try to think about good growing type birds and dont keep a bird that is sickly or lacks vigor. You will have a few chicks that will jump out and get a head of the pack in type, color or over all you just like them. Those are most of the time your good breeders. Do not cross any strains as if you have Don Nelson keep the line pure and if you only have two males or two good females that is fine. Build from these better birds. In Rose Combs the same thing. Dont also get caught in the idea you may see a bird at the show that is not from the same strain and you have the urge to cross them. Don't do it unless you can prove they came from the strain. You need to take pictures to show us their type or even a two minute video and send it to U tube for us to look at. bob

3. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Jeff and Bob, thanks so much for your response I appreciate this more then you could ever know. I do already have the numbered leg bands. I order a couple hundred ( lol ) last fall when I decided that this was what I was going to do. I have two different colors of the numbered and 4 colors of just the spiral ones. I am a camera buff, no expert, but love taking pictures.
    Jeff, that is what I've been thinking for the past couple of months or so about all the work.
    You guys will be hearing from me over the next few months I'm sure. I'm praying that I can do all I've planned.

4. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Here is my little Don Nelson chicks that I just hatched out yesterday. Received 13 eggs, 3 were clear, 10 went into lock down and all 10 hatched. WOW, was I tickled. They really are darker then these pictures show. I guess it is the flash and all the white background. They are real deep red/brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    COOL beans [​IMG] I like em' red baby biddies are so precious

6. Robert Blosl

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    The last picture the check with his back to us look how dark he is. This is what Heritage Standard large fowl birds should look like the darker the better. bob

7. Kate1

Kate1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Pensacola, FL
    It has taken three days to read this thread from the start with notetaking. I cannot find contact information for Pine Grove- William Bennett in Lakeland, GA. I have searched on BYC and with Google and not found any info. Can someone please give me contact info- phone, website or email. I have gotten quite an education from this thread. Thank you for starting and contributing to this wealth of information.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  8. Robert Blosl

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    Mr. Bennett does not have a web site so you will not find anything. I have no idea how to contact him.

There is equal if not better Rhode Island Red large fowl just 25 miles from you in Eleberta Alabama.

There will be at least two pairs or two trios you could pick up for next years breeding there. These are my old Mohawk line which is 100 years old.

They where at the Pensacola Poultry Show a few weeks ago they are excellent layers and very dark in color. bob

9. Kate1

Kate1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Pensacola, FL
    Thank you. I have been in touch with your friend since my last post on this thread and I saw his birds at the show. That was my first poultry show and the eye opener that sent me to the internet to research the "Real Rhode Island Red". Those were fine looking RIRs at the show and mine look nothing like them. I will be getting some of his birds to restart my flock. What a great thread this has been. Thank you for setting it off.

10. Robert Blosl

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    You are welcome and I am glad you enjoyed it.However,the credit goes to all those who posted asked questions showed us pictures and still want to know what the old fashion Rhode Island Red looks like and and can be use full on a back yard poultry lot.

I hope we can get ten new people with large Reds this year. Next year will be a better year as we will have more suppliers . bob

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by