The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

It's been hot here too and every day I have been turning on the sprinklers in the pens to cool the ground down and it also waters the trees which they like to lay under..
I tried lightly misting my chicks and chickens yesterday, and you'd have thought I was spraying hydrochloric acid on them by the way they were freaking out. Obviously there's a huge difference between a water hose mist and a light rain. I didn't know...

Last edited:
I tried lightly misting my chicks and chickens yesterday, and you'd have thought I was spraying hydrochloric acid on them by the way they were freaking out. Obviously there's a huge difference between a water hose mist and a light rain. I didn't know...

Mine freak out when i do that too. I sometimes go over to the pen with the hose and spray through the gate or lift it above. They run and fly about. Of course once or twice i tried misting them so maybe thats it but i dont now, try to mist the ground and sometimes it hits them. They freak. Heck, the first 2 times i did it it was just with one of those spray bottles they sell at lowes, filled it with water, turned it to mist not stream, and misted them. Nice gentle barely noticeable very light definitely not visible mist not a scary hose. NOPE STILL SCARY.

Quote:
My birds are used to them as I have had them in the pens for years so they know what to expect when I turn them on. They don't stand under the sprinklers but run through them. I think they like the cool on their feet. There are some areas not shaded and the sand gets hot so they run across the hot sand to the sprinkler cooled sand. The pens have not had grass in them for a very long time.

Mine freak out when i do that too. I sometimes go over to the pen with the hose and spray through the gate or lift it above. They run and fly about. Of course once or twice i tried misting them so maybe thats it but i dont now, try to mist the ground and sometimes it hits them. They freak. Heck, the first 2 times i did it it was just with one of those spray bottles they sell at lowes, filled it with water, turned it to mist not stream, and misted them. Nice gentle barely noticeable very light definitely not visible mist not a scary hose. NOPE STILL SCARY.
Yet they'll stand in the middle of a thunderstorm...
idunno.gif

My birds are used to them as I have had them in the pens for years so they know what to expect when I turn them on. They don't stand under the sprinklers but run through them. I think they like the cool on their feet. There are some areas not shaded and the sand gets hot so they run across the hot sand to the sprinkler cooled sand. The pens have not had grass in them for a very long time.

Maybe if i added something like that they'd get used to it

Yet they'll stand in the middle of a thunderstorm...   :idunno

Right!? Mine used to hide during rain but now stand in it and were once out with a bit of thunder

Hopefully since its been so hot lately my birds wont mind when I wash them today. I have a show coming up in a few days and some of my birds are disgusting and desperately need baths. The coop is too far from the sink so all the water we use comes from a pump in the barn that can be a bit cold. Hopefully they wont mind it since it is so hot out.

I love the Heritage RIR colors and look/build. Could anyone point me towards a breeder around Eastern Oklahoma or Western Arkansas? I'd like to get some eggs or possibly some chicks. I enjoy the pics and posts here. Appreciate it, Bret.

What seems to be the trait most difficult to keep or change? When experienced breeders say "don't cross strains", does that mean don't cross Nelson with Mohawk, or do they mean you need to stay with one breeders flock/family?
Probably a dumb question, but I'm trying to get a general idea of how to get/start a flock, and what restrictions there are on breeding. Bret

What seems to be the trait most difficult to keep or change? When experienced breeders say "don't cross strains", does that mean don't cross Nelson with Mohawk, or do they mean you need to stay with one breeders flock/family?
Probably a dumb question, but I'm trying to get a general idea of how to get/start a flock, and what restrictions there are on breeding. Bret
Yes you are right, the first one, don't cross Nelson with Mohawk for example. Strain and line are also interchangeable terms. This is not a hard and fast rule, it's just that when you cross different lines, the results are not predictable. Certain lines have their known good and bad traits and line bred chickens have less variability than outcrossed chickens. So when you cross different lines, you will get more variability and it may take several generations to get the consistent results you are looking for. However you can improve birds that way also, if the line you are working with is just very weak in a certain area, bringing in new blood with the strength lacking in the old line may help, but again, results are not predictable. I crossed 2 different lines of Barred Rocks and have been very happy with the results, got my first ever Super Show Champion cockerel from the cross!

Yes you are right, the first one, don't cross Nelson with Mohawk for example. Strain and line are also interchangeable terms. This is not a hard and fast rule, it's just that when you cross different lines, the results are not predictable. Certain lines have their known good and bad traits and line bred chickens have less variability than outcrossed chickens. So when you cross different lines, you will get more variability and it may take several generations to get the consistent results you are looking for. However you can improve birds that way also, if the line you are working with is just very weak in a certain area, bringing in new blood with the strength lacking in the old line may help, but again, results are not predictable. I crossed 2 different lines of Barred Rocks and have been very happy with the results, got my first ever Super Show Champion cockerel from the cross!
+1. It's safer and more predictable to introduce fresh blood from the same line. Most birds of the same line share the same genes and immunities. Crossing birds of the same line that are strong in areas your birds are weak in will usually fix the problem. It may take awhile to build up your flock with the desired birds, but it's very doable.

Crossing different lines can have great results... or it can have catastrophic results. You could end up with exactly what you want, or you may end up with birds that look nothing like what you want. You could end up with birds that are very healthy and immune to a whole host of diseases... or you may end up with birds that have very weak immune systems. Generations of work can be gained... or wiped out. In my opinion, it's a risk that should only be attempted by experienced breeders... or as a last alternative for newbies. Just my 2c...

That's a fine looking BR cockerel, by the way...
wink.png

PS: I've been meaning to ask, is there any Ringlet blood in that bird? Every time I see it, it reminds me of the Ringlet line.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom