The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

@Fred's Hens I've studied this picture in original size on my 22" monitor... and even magnified (Windows 7&10: right click, open in new window or tab, and left click area to magnify). While I see great horn in the beaks, I can't see very much on the legs. Perhaps it's just the lighting? I took some pics of my pullet's legs a few moments ago, and this is what my 9 week olds look like. These are pics of the darkest legs, but the other pullets aren't very much lighter. Is this too much horn and something I need to work on? Thanks in advance...

Photography is NOT my strong suit. LOL. As I said, I'll try to get better photo to demonstrate features, but no promises. I don't have digital 35 mm camera or anything that fancy, not even an iPhone camera as I have an old man's dumb phone.

No worries. If these birds don't pan out, I'll just put 'em in a feed sack and order some of those reds from Ideal. I hear they're better egg layers anyhow.
wink.png

Last edited:
Photography is NOT my strong suit. LOL. As I said, I'll try to get better photo to demonstrate features, but no promises. I don't have digital 35 mm camera or anything that fancy, not even an iPhone camera as I have an old man's dumb phone.

No worries. If these birds don't pan out, I'll just put 'em in a feed sack and order some of those reds from Ideal. I hear they're better egg layers anyhow.
wink.png
So the answer is it isn't too much horn? Whew!!!

Digital cameras are the neatest thing since sliced bread. While some cell phones have decent cameras, my LG G2 unfortunately isn't one of them. 13 MP? Yeah... right.
hmm.png
That's why I ended up buying my Canon SX. It takes great pics, and most of the time I use it in auto mode so I don't have to do anything but point and shoot. I'm kind of lazy like that...
big_smile.png

And if the Ideal birds don't pan out, I hear Cackle Hatchery has some eggcellent layers. Just keep them in the dark so you don't have to look at them...
sickbyc.gif

@Fred: Most all the group from Mothers Day weekend have the leg horn color! But then again most of them I judge as young cockerel though and only a few pullet juvies. So depending on development I may have a few young cockerels to sell.
The last seven from the second group I still have in the dog crate but it is set inside the big coop at night and out on the grass with bottom tray removed during the day. Forgot to slide the tray back in one day and lifting the cage only proved they were still small enough to drop right out..... boy were they tricky to catch again once they had full range freedom. :lol:
Lets set up a Thursday meet. And Nipper was sire for ALL that hatched here. But not all were the best hens. I gave you what I knew were hot from under the best hens. I need to do better pens. Maybe you can help with that in a few weeks? Also possible to bring your camera so some can be posted? My cable isn't working now

Yep Ur-ur-ur-urrr good color on those shanks!

@bluebirdnanny
   Oh goodness.  We've no intention of ditching our summer place Up North.  Hot summers do not agree with me and could no longer take the heat/humidity of the deep south in summers, so you're stuck with me up here I guess.  :)   

I'll be over in a few weeks, when we can arrange a time.  We'll do some sorting.  Take care until then.

What a relief!!! :celebrate I have to work more on that small tractor tomorrow.... it needed repair after moving it up on the platform... needs more.... didn't construct too well. Hasty just didn't cut the mustard once I moved it a few times. ;)

wink.png

The reds from ideal aren't too bad...nothing spectacular, but from a hatchery, I was surprised.

I'll be 'feed sacking' some older hens Monday to start making room. Way past time to say goodbye to those two other breed hens... was waiting to see just how LONG Granny and Buffy would lay. Guess they thought if they kept up they'd get to stay around. RIR quality space is needed ;) so time to clear out the lower quality. Won't need them for eggs when these quality begin laying anyway. But they will be honored guest in my next 'souper supper'. Since I can't have commercial broth due to the MSG they will be remembered each time I need a base.

Have a good fourth.

Good morning everyone, I hope you all had a good Independence Day.
Please feel free to ignore this post, but as these birds make my foundation group, and I am a bit visually slow I thought I would ask for help.
If it is not too much trouble, I would truly appreciate your help evaluating my nine cockerels. I got 9/13 males, and need to make a first thinning down to four or so with a final goal of two. I tagged and chalked (green) them to help me. These guys are from March 25(one is s few days older), and the only order was how I grabbed them.The lighting was a mess, but here goes.
Number one

Number two

Number three

Number four

Number five

Number six

Number seven

Number eight

Number nine

@Fred's Hens@cmom@Ur-ur-ur-urrr

They should be broad back to the tail. These are pictures of one of my champions. Unfortunately he cut his comb so I'm not showing him any more but he is in a breeding pen. The pictures are a bit misleading but he has nice width as well as length all the way to his tail, a nice full body. That is what I look for. Some of my males tended to be more tapered at the tail and they all went bye bye. At the shows I noticed that the fuller bodied birds placed better. I hope this helps in your selection.

Another male

They should be broad back to the tail. These are pictures of one of my champions. Unfortunately he cut his comb so I'm not showing him any more but he is in a breeding pen. The pictures are a bit misleading but he has nice width as well as length all the way to his tail, a nice full body. That is what I look for. Some of my males tended to be more tapered at the tail and they all went bye bye. At the shows I noticed that the fuller bodied birds placed better. I hope this helps in your selection. Another male
Like number eight? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom