The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

You would be getting the (what I consider the minimum recommended) space if you give each bird 8 square feet of run space. I understand the budget thingy. I've never been able to buy all the materials I need at once. I build my pens as I can afford them, which basically means when I run out of money, I stop building. When I get a little money, I buy a few more things for the build. I've been building on my new coop for over 3 months, and it still isn't completed. It's close, and I could move birds in right now, but I won't until it's completely done. I have my 11 RIR running around in a temporary pen (roughly 12' x 12'), and my basement (YUCK!), where they get closed up every night. I can't wait until they get to move! The moral of the story is... do what you can when you can. Slacking up on adding more birds might help. Just saying...    ;)

Hahaha, I thought I was the only one crazy enough to put their grow outs in the basement. The key for me is to just put small amounts of bedding down and clean it constantly. I always underestimate how expensive things can be...in my head I think in theory you could just build a run with a couple $7 posts and some welded wire...but then it's the cost to rent a post hole digger, cement, bottom boards, bracing, and all that stuff. I think I did the pricing and it's something ridiculous like $800 for a 10 x 20 run. For that price I better be raising a second Mohawk V, lol. I'm also trying to browse Craigslist to see if anyone is getting rid of dog kennels. I think a run made of them could be pretty cheap. Throw a tarp over it and you are good to go. But I like the theory of having a large enough space that cleaning isn't necessary. Plus it makes the birds happy. Did I mention I would have to hire someone to build the run, cause I can't build anything to save my life?

In my case, i think i have too many birds, lol. I need to get rid of some. I usually just sell them on CL as layers. But I did get some more ameraucana I wasn't planning on getting so that doesn't help. I think i have about 12 birds in that 6 x 8 run. That works out to about 4 sq ft per bird. I need to cut that number in half. I could never afford to make my runs big enough that I wont have to clean them. Sturdy and on a budget don't go hand in hand. I would ideally like to hire someone with a post hole digger, put 4x4s in the ground and use 2x4 welded wire on the front sides and sunk in the bottom.
My pens all have chicken wire around the perimeter but I have 2x4 wire separating each pen. I do have 2' chicken wire on the bottom of each of the fences separating the pens too because the males will stick their heads through the wire to try to get at the male in the adjacent pens especially when I move the birds around for breeding and there is a different male next to them.

Last edited:
My pens all have chicken wire around the perimeter but I have 2x4 wire separating each pen. I do have 2' chicken wire on the bottom of each of the fences separating the pens too because the males will stick their heads through the wire to try to get at the male in the adjacent pens especially when I move the birds around for breeding and there is a different male next to them.

Thats actually a really good idea. I was told never to use chicken wire cause any predator can tear it apart easily. I never thought to use in addition to the welded wire to keep them from breeding through the fence. I know with goats bucks should never share a fence line cause they'll try an breed the does through the fence. I never thought about it with chickens.

Quote: I have used Feather Fixer or something similar several years ago but saw no major differences so now they just get their Show Gold. I'm out of feed and my order doesn't come in until Wednesday so I'm going to feed the youngsters Game Bird. I hope they will survive a couple of days until their regular feed comes in. I ordered extra feed this time.

Good day/night to all. I'm looking to purchase some 3-4 month old heritage rhode island reds. I'm from the Philippines and perhaps it's just ignorance but i have yet to find an rir marketed as "heritage" here and truly look like the ones on this thread (and yes I have back read). They're production reds... Can anyone suggest to me a breeder/farm that can ship?

Thanks all
Pao

Good day/night to all. I'm looking to purchase some 3-4 month old heritage rhode island reds. I'm from the Philippines and perhaps it's just ignorance but i have yet to find an rir marketed as "heritage" here and truly look like the ones on this thread (and yes I have back read). They're production reds... Can anyone suggest to me a breeder/farm that can ship?

Thanks all
Pao
Good luck in your search. It is pretty much impossible to ship eggs or birds out of the US. I have had people ask me to ship eggs and/or birds and it just isn't worth it to me to go through everything to ship. First most shippers won't ship them out of the US. I ship through the USPS priority mail and they will only ship within the US. My birds are inspected by my state but a health certificate has to be signed by a veterinarian to ship and in my area there aren't any that deal with chickens or eggs. I hope you can find someone. Good luck and have fun...

Last edited:
Could someone show what a good rose comb looks like? Should the comb be smooth or with bumps? Sorry if I'm not calling parts of the comb wrong, I'm still learning a lot. Thanks, Kevin

Could someone show what a good rose comb looks like? Should the comb be smooth or with bumps? Sorry if I'm not calling parts of the comb wrong, I'm still learning a lot. Thanks, Kevin

My boy holds his wings too low and I have to take a picture of my other boy. I kept my original male and one other. The other male holds his wings higher. I hope they help you. Good luck and have fun...
Female

Male with a couple females

male

I simply cannot stress enough how important it is to own this book. The first 40 pages are CLASSIC and answer all these questions, and MORE along with great diagrams. This is the bible of poultry and nobody who is serious about poultry or to be taken seriously in poultry is without this book. Study it. Carry it with you to the yard. Carry it with you to the shows.

I simply cannot stress enough how important it is to own this book. The first 40 pages are CLASSIC and answer all these questions, and MORE along with great diagrams. This is the bible of poultry and nobody who is serious about poultry or to be taken seriously in poultry is without this book. Study it. Carry it with you to the yard. Carry it with you to the shows.

I second that...
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom