The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

80370C43-0710-4B2F-BD3C-FFED0A97A859.jpeg

Chick seems to be doing good

My two 12 Week RIR, top bird has white in her wing feathers, bottom bird no white.

C0B674C2-4BCE-4B54-B2C9-9C7F3BE92E2E.jpeg
F62D768E-017D-4DAA-B6BB-9675FC44096B.jpeg

One thing I noticed photographing the chicks today is that the RIR chick from the hatching egg has clearly yellow legs compared to the hatchery chicks of breeds also suppose to have yellow legs… not saying the others won’t yellow up… just very noticeable when comparing chick pictures. The NN in the photo with him should have yellow legs as an adult as well. Even the Buckeyes and RIW Hatchery chicks don’t look yellow, it’s that pale pink still. So very excited to see how the chick develop. I hope it is a boy :fl🙏
0D110809-F314-4022-90D2-B1978618A190.jpeg

The chicks I think are RIW
CF8DCE8F-3460-4349-B32A-D86B1D6CFA2C.jpeg

Well bugger! We have been worried about the RIR chick as he didn’t seem to be eating or drinking much and nit very active. Chicks like that in the past we have had rarely perk up… he passed despite our efforts to get him to eat and drink. RIW eggs still no action… I will reorder hatching eggs.

Well bugger! We have been worried about the RIR chick as he didn’t seem to be eating or drinking much and nit very active. Chicks like that in the past we have had rarely perk up… he passed despite our efforts to get him to eat and drink. RIW eggs still no action… I will reorder hatching eggs.
Did you give him any sugar water from an eye dropper?

Did you give him any sugar water from an eye dropper?
Yes, he just never really improved. Over the years we have had a chick every now and then be like this from a hatch. Anyway we shall try again, this lot of hatching eggs was a bust. Just a bummer. I am trying to get some quality RIR eggs in general now. If I find Rosecombs again great if not okay, single comb is okay, I want to improve my utility flock and establish a good RIR breeding pool.

My two 12 Week RIR, top bird has white in her wing feathers, bottom bird no white.

View attachment 3083935View attachment 3083937

One thing I noticed photographing the chicks today is that the RIR chick from the hatching egg has clearly yellow legs compared to the hatchery chicks of breeds also suppose to have yellow legs… not saying the others won’t yellow up… just very noticeable when comparing chick pictures. The NN in the photo with him should have yellow legs as an adult as well. Even the Buckeyes and RIW Hatchery chicks don’t look yellow, it’s that pale pink still. So very excited to see how the chick develop. I hope it is a boy :fl🙏
View attachment 3083956

The chicks I think are RIW
View attachment 3083965
I love those naked neck animals...quite productive and healthy

We like the goofy NNs too. Since the NNs are not SoP we are hopefully going to do some experimental breeding. All depends on what we can raise up in the rooster department from other breeds. The mature Pullets lay pretty good. Hopefully we can improve them.

Ive got a NNxPBR hen waiting for her rooster...I've got a side project of NN RIR and NN PBR
We like the goofy NNs too. Since the NNs are not SoP we are hopefully going to do some experimental breeding. All depends on what we can raise up in the rooster department from other breeds. The mature Pullets lay pretty good. Hopefully we can improve them

I was thinking of the following breeding plan.

1) Improve RIRs and eventually introduce Rosecomb genes. But for now quality Single Comb okay.

2) Improve RIW and get them properly Rosecombed… so annoying hatcheries are selling non SOP single combs only. Trying again to get eggs.

3) Down the road be able to breed my own sexlinks with rosecombs, with NN would be awesome. Just saying. 😂

Back
Top Bottom