The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Nice flat back & tail spread on that pullet. Be careful about too much time in full sun as the Red's feathers are easily sun damaged. In the summer months it's important that they be inan area that's primarily shaded.
Thanks for that information. That was something I didn't know.

On another breed, not trying to derail the thread, but as a side note; are the Dominiques the same? Do they need to be in a mainly shaded pen during the summer months too?

Monnie: Where do you live in Missisippi? I see a Single Comb Male by your name. Looks nice what strain is he from? bob
I live in Yalobusha County, in the north central part of the state, live right in the middle of the county on top of a hill, oldest house in the county. I'm about 30 miles from Oxford, MS, 80 miles from Memphis, TN. My boy is a Don Nelson line. And he is the only rooster on the farm. I have some eggs in the incubator from NYreds, suppose to hatch next week. I'm anticipating the hatch, but you know the saying, "don't count your chickens before they hatch."

Nice flat back & tail spread on that pullet. Be careful about too much time in full sun as the Red's feathers are easily sun damaged. In the summer months it's important that they be inan area that's primarily shaded.

Hmm... I've been wanting to get a heritage breed and had been considering Rhode Island Reds, but sun damage is an issue I hadn't considered. It's easy to get sunburned even in the shade here. Trees and natural shade are in short supply. The coop/run has the most reliable shade in my yard, thanks to the magic of shadecloth. I was hoping a heritage breed would be more free-range savvy than my production red "starter" chickens, and would be out of the coop/run more often, but if their feathers are easily damaged by the sun I'm going to have second thoughts about getting heritage Rhode Island Reds.

Would Black Javas or heritage Barred Rocks do better in the sun, plumage-wise? Or am I likely to have sun-related feather condition issues no matter what breed?

Thanks for any advice you all can give me.

Sarah

I live 300 miles closer to the gulf than you do. I never had problems with sun burn and if I did that did not bother me as after they molt the new feathers that come in are dark. Dont give up a good strain of Rhode Island Reds on a maybe it might happen. Give them penty of shade as you would any breed of chickens. I have white rock large fowl down here for 25 years they dont turn yellow in the sun like some White birds do WHY I breed the stay white gene and it never happens. They are not going to stay out in the direct sun all day in the first place. They will be in the shade most of the day and spend allot of time in early a m and late evening in the direct sun. If you see my Red Bantams I dont have any problem with sun burn ether. Never worried about it . I have plenty of shade you can grow corn and sun flower seed plants and this will give them shade as well.

You have one of the top strains in the USA in Reds dont get ride of them becasue of the sun protect them more from varmints than the sun. Look forward to pictures of your birds latter. There is a good line of Nelson birds in Georgia as well she never had any problems with sun that I know of. Also, look at the nice Rose Comb Male he has been living a life of Riley up there in the North East Mississippi area. My wife is from Aberdeen in Monroe Co. bob

Last edited:
The advice on Reds & sun exposure was given to me by both Ken Bowles & Harold Tompkins a long time ago. I've seen how Red's feathers suffer if they are exposed to full sun all day, particularly true of males. I'll keep providing mine with lots of shade, you can do as you choose.

There are breeders in Arizona who have Reds I dont know if Lacy Greer has problems or not. There is a good stain of Barred Rocks in Arizona one of the top three. Marvin Stukler has a strain that is been in Arizona for about 50 years.

My experience has been they they will rest in the shade many hours per day and then when they feel like it will go out in open sun areas. Most of the time its done early moarning and late in the afternoon.

Are you going to show your Reds in Arizona? If not dont worry about it. If you are still scared of the Arizona Sun then you will have top pick a breed you think will do well. I would ask people at a Poultry Show or contact a APA judge from Arizona and get their advice.

Last edited:
Hmm... I've been wanting to get a heritage breed and had been considering Rhode Island Reds, but sun damage is an issue I hadn't considered. It's easy to get sunburned even in the shade here. Trees and natural shade are in short supply. The coop/run has the most reliable shade in my yard, thanks to the magic of shadecloth. I was hoping a heritage breed would be more free-range savvy than my production red "starter" chickens, and would be out of the coop/run more often, but if their feathers are easily damaged by the sun I'm going to have second thoughts about getting heritage Rhode Island Reds.

Would Black Javas or heritage Barred Rocks do better in the sun, plumage-wise? Or am I likely to have sun-related feather condition issues no matter what breed?

Thanks for any advice you all can give me.

Sarah

Don't know about Rocks or Javas. Never bred either & haven't done much breeding about them.
I search my archives & found articles by both Ken Bowles & Harold Tompkins that address this subject.
Bowles said "For years I showed cock birds at fall shows with surface feathers that were fuzzy & turned up" [this is what I've seen happen] He goes on to say he eventuall realized this was from sunburn & he recommended "males must never be exposed to direct, bright sunshine". "Cockerels shoul be placed in the shade or confined for 6 weeks before you wish to show them at fall shows. Cockbirds should never be allowed in sunshine as after the first year their feathers are dry & can not stand as much as young birds"
In an article titled CARE OF REDS IN SUMMER Harold Tompkins said: "when hot weather sets in pleanty of shade is necessary". He goes on to talk about various heat related factor causing feather damage.
These two men were among the "Old Masters" of Red breeding and both wrote extensively about breeding, conditioning & showing issues. Their writings are well worth searching for.

Don't know about Rocks or Javas. Never bred either & haven't done much breeding about them.
I search my archives & found articles by both Ken Bowles & Harold Tompkins that address this subject.
Bowles said "For years I showed cock birds at fall shows with surface feathers that were fuzzy & turned up" [this is what I've seen happen] He goes on to say he eventuall realized this was from sunburn & he recommended "males must never be exposed to direct, bright sunshine". "Cockerels shoul be placed in the shade or confined for 6 weeks before you wish to show them at fall shows. Cockbirds should never be allowed in sunshine as after the first year their feathers are dry & can not stand as much as young birds"
In an article titled CARE OF REDS IN SUMMER Harold Tompkins said: "when hot weather sets in pleanty of shade is necessary". He goes on to talk about various heat related factor causing feather damage.
These two men were among the "Old Masters" of Red breeding and both wrote extensively about breeding, conditioning & showing issues. Their writings are well worth searching for.

Thanks, NYREDS, I'll check out those references. Even though I'm not planning on showing birds I still look at them - and the poor feather condition on the production birds I inherited has been really annoying me. Off to study some more.

Sarah

Quote: Are the feathers on the Heritage Reds the same as the feathers on the production Reds? The Production Reds have stiff feathers and are prone to damage. Most of my other breeds have soft feathers that don't break.

I suppose I will find out for my self soon. I have 6 two week old Heritage chicks
celebrate.gif

Ron

Back
Top Bottom