The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Are the feathers on the Heritage Reds the same as the feathers on the production Reds? The Production Reds have stiff feathers and are prone to damage. Most of my other breeds have soft feathers that don't break.

I suppose I will find out for my self soon. I have 6 two week old Heritage chicks
celebrate.gif

Ron

Actually feather quality is much better on the Real Reds than on Production Reds. I don't think I've ever seen any of those production bird who weren't covered with broken, shresded festhers. A friend of mine got a few a couple years ago just so he'd have eggs when he was hatching his show birds. He got rid of them because he said he couldn't stand to look at them. Said they were never in good feather even whenthey were pullets.

Actually feather quality is much better on the Real Reds than on Production Reds. I don't think I've ever seen any of those production bird who weren't covered with broken, shresded festhers. A friend of mine got a few a couple years ago just so he'd have eggs when he was hatching his show birds. He got rid of them because he said he couldn't stand to look at them. Said they were never in good feather even whenthey were pullets.
I have a few production reds and some hatchery reds. My heritage reds do have better quality feathers but my other ones have good feathers I guess the way I feed and care for them. They haven't molted in a long time. They do have a few feathers fall out as the summer progresses but they don't look mangy looking like some birds do. The new veterinarian I had to call out to see about a sick horse was so enthralled with how good they all look until he wants some of my chickens. I told him if he took care of his chickens like I do he wouldn't have any problems with them laying and looking healthy. He told me he hadn't see any chickens look so healthy as mine do. Of course I pointed out the heritage reds so he is interested them too.

Quote: NYREDS,

Thank you for the information on the Heritage Feathers. I am really happy to have some now.

Ron
Quote: monnie662
welcome-byc.gif

I have 3 hatchery RIRs and they don't look bad either. They do have more brittle feathers. They are not as soft and pliable as the others, so I could see them breaking more easily.

What special care do you give yours?

Ron

While we are on the subject of feathers--I have 2 heritage pullet I hatched out this summer that have kind of curled feathers on their backs and some of the feathers have whitish tips. If I get time I will try to get a picture tomorrow but was wondering if anyone knows what causes this and will it shed out when the adult feathers come in? The rest of chicks I hatched out look beautiful but these 2 pullet look a little strange. I only have 3 other pullets so I really want to use these girls in my breeding program. All my cockerels look really good....

NYREDS,

Thank you for the information on the Heritage Feathers. I am really happy to have some now.

Ron
monnie662
welcome-byc.gif

I have 3 hatchery RIRs and they don't look bad either. They do have more brittle feathers. They are not as soft and pliable as the others, so I could see them breaking more easily.

What special care do you give yours?

Ron
The only thing I can figure out that seems to be helping the hatchery reds look healthy is the apple cider vinegar I am putting in their water. I put about an oz. to a gallon of water. I was having trouble with the egg shells being soft and I read about it on BYC and it has not only helped the egg problem it has seemed to make the chickens healthy. My chickens have layed all winter and now with the weather hitting 100 degrees here lately I thought they would quit but no they are laying a moderate amount to keep myself, friends and family in eggs. If the vinegar is the cure I will keep on using it, it's too cheap to not try.

Well, my hatchery red seems to have randomly quit laying after only starting in March....

How long has she not laid an egg? Does she seem ok otherwise? Barring bad things like cancers and such, one cause of not laying is blood sucking parasites such as round worms, lice and mites.

A person on my local thread posted yesterday that we were getting into mite season--get prepared.

Often one of your chickens will act like a sentinel. she will be the first one to show symptoms, so when one starts acting sick, check the others. You can take a sample of manure to a vet for a float test to see if worms are a problem. Mites you have to check after dark. Look for little specks around the vent that move. They hide in the coop at night.

Good luck!

Ron

Hey Ron & the rest of the thread!
Yesterday i picked up 4 Heritage RIRs. 3 layers and a pullet who should be laying within the next week or two. I'm new to the breed but knew they were very popular birds. They seem pretty calm to. I just got them and they're letting me and my young nephew handle them and catch them so thats pretty cool. theyre
Eggs are pretty decent sized too. My golden sex links lay huge eggs so its nice they're close In size.
2 of the layers have missing feathers on they're back. The farmer said it was from the aggressive RIR rooster he just sold. He was mounting the hems and pulling they're feathers out from doing it. You can see the little fuzzy feathers growing back already but its still looking pretty ugly.
How long does that usually take to grow back?

Hey Ron, what do you think about the Dorking rooster you gave me crossed with the RIR hens? I know you said he is quite unique. He looks like a nice breed AMD something to breed with but I'm new to all this. Thanks

Hey Ron & the rest of the thread!
Yesterday i picked up 4 Heritage RIRs. 3 layers and a pullet who should be laying within the next week or two. I'm new to the breed but knew they were very popular birds. They seem pretty calm to. I just got them and they're letting me and my young nephew handle them and catch them so thats pretty cool. theyre
Eggs are pretty decent sized too. My golden sex links lay huge eggs so its nice they're close In size.
2 of the layers have missing feathers on they're back. The farmer said it was from the aggressive RIR rooster he just sold. He was mounting the hems and pulling they're feathers out from doing it. You can see the little fuzzy feathers growing back already but its still looking pretty ugly.
How long does that usually take to grow back?

Hey Ron, what do you think about the Dorking rooster you gave me crossed with the RIR hens? I know you said he is quite unique. He looks like a nice breed AMD something to breed with but I'm new to all this. Thanks

Congratulations on getting Heritage RIRs
yesss.gif

The crosses would be a "Barnyard Mix". The RIRs should be bread to standard with an Heritage RIR from the same line as the hens and the ones that don't meet standard can be bread with the Dorking X Ameracauna Rooster. You should get nice mint green eggs from them since the Heritage RIRs probably don't have that dark brown of an egg.

Of course if you don't want to bother with breeding for Show Quality you should get some very unique chickens out of these. They will be Easter Egger chickens and are very popular.

Have Fun!

Ron

LoL. I really need to do a body inspection of all three of my productions, pity the silly things are so flighty that they won't come near me unless the food bucket is in my hand. She seems fine otherwise, no dramatic changes in weight. Neither gains nor losses. She's carrying herself same as always and has good appetite. Only really obvious thing is she looks a little ragged and is ....."shedding" for lack of a better term. She just passed her 1 year birthday a couple of weeks ago so I'm thinking maybe a summer mini-moult but I'm gonna pick up sime worm and mite stuff this weekend when I go to the feed store anyway. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Also need to brag on my Nankins. Went out yesterday morning and saw that "somebody" had roosted on the watering stations and tipped them over. It was already in the mid 80's and only 9:45. So I filled them back up and set them up on a cinnder block for better stability. Even though all 31 birds were panting, every single one one of my cockrels just stepped back and let the pullets drink their fill before they even tried to approach the dishes. Now if only they could give that idiot production red roo some leasons on treating his lady right

Back
Top Bottom