The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    First I want to say thank you to all who have given such well considered opinions on the show issue.

I'm not an old timer but I'm not exactly a just fell off the fruit truck newbie either. I grew up on the edge of a small subdivision built with the retuning vets from the Korean conflict as a target market. Our place was backed by two farms and sided by a forest that later became an elementary school. We purchased our eggs from a local poultryman who always seemed to have time for the nosey kid (me) who was fascinated by those old washing/candling systems, milk from a dairy farm behind the race track, meat from a butcher and most of our produce, cheese and honey from farmstands still attached to farms. I found odd jobs on some of those now long gone farms during summer break. For the past dozen years I've even managed to keep my own various chickens alive and producing well.

My parents were also Boston Terrier fanciers from before I was born until they passed in the early 90s. Most of my friends came from 'dog people' too. "Form follows function" and 'breeding to the SOP' were early mantras. Over the years I've done my fair share of showing dogs (jr. showmanship, conformation, obedience and schutzhund), horses (hunters), sheep (wool) and rabbits, so I'm rather familiar with showing along with the time, $$$, logistics and physical work involved...and frankly I'm done.

However, that does not mean I don't value the opinions of judges and others with more or different knowledge from my own. I just don't think it's necessary with all of this modern technology to spend what non-work hours I have carting myself and my animals all over the country to find it. There are still people who can be honest (thank you!) and point out 'what's wrong with this picture'. A judge's opinion on your score card tells you about your animal, but it still doesn't help you know why (s)he picked one animal over another in every case. Ever have a chicken you were surprised to see dress out smaller or larger than you thought it would? To REALLY judge animals, you need to lay hands on them. So to me it is more educational to get to a judges' symposium or training class to learn - HANDS ON - what the judges are looking at so you can find it (or its lack) in your own animals.

Now, if I bred something that I really thought was something special, I'd probably take it before a judge to verify my belief or get slapped upside the head with it as someone put so well.

There's also something to be said for maintaining the status quo. Just an interesting poseur...what if show trends take a line down one avenue that comes to a dead end. Wouldn't it be helpful to have good stock available from someone who bucked the trend to maintain the "original" type of that line? Kind of like a seed bank for chickens.

Golly, I think I just answered my own question. No, it wouldn't be a waste to maintain one of the heritage show lines, particularly as there really is no substitute ;)

I'm still leaning toward the Underwood RC RIR, even if I have wait a bit; but still more research to do.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. black75betty

black75betty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    Palmer, AK
    Well Bob, you are a sweetheart and a gentleman. I truly applaud you for the efforts that you make to nurture the seeds of people's interests in "heritage" fowl. Perhaps, in a few years time, you can come up to Alaska, take a look at my birds- and we can discuss the cold hard truths while sitting in a boat- waiting for the Kings to hit our lines (don't want to hurt your feelings too much to say that we might not have enough, uninterrupted, time if we were silver fishing on the Deshka River)!

My post was a knee-jerk defensive reaction (because I sure do put alot of time in researching and carrying the feed bucket), but I am happy to provide a counter point to the discussion. I think for me re: showing, the lack of a judge's input on my birds, is equal to the missed opportunities to speak in person, about the detailed intricasies of chicken breedeing, with like minded people. Which is why I value this thread.

3. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    I can make it up to Alaska about Jan that's a slow time for me down here. I can bring my Kayak with me.

In regards to trends and sitting back and doing it right that's what I have been doing. All ready 80 percent of current R I Red bantams are to far gone to the Red Rock shape. Even if you cross my line or someone who has the old fashion medium width of feather line to them I don't think you can bring them back to what the once where.

The best thing to do is just do this. Ask yourself do I want to breed my Reds to the standard of perfection and have nice wide even backs, oblong brick shape, top lines like a Red is suppose to have with extended keels or breed what will win in a show with the current faddism?

The choice is yours. Points are nice, being called a master breeder because you won 500 points in a breed club is nice but I would rather have the chicken on the ground that looks like a R I Red. Be patient just two or three of you and in ten years you will be one of the chosen few.

1 person likes this.
  4. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    That could be one of the best question in two years. Never even thought about this. FEAR is the main reason people don't show and Fear of getting beat. People need to go with a open mind and hope that some of the better exhibitors or judges will assist you on what you have at this show. You got some dark Rhode island reds and you may have faults on them that would take the most skilled breeder 20 years to correct.

Sometimes you need to abort what you got and start all over with a new line or strain you will be time and money ahead.

I will tell you the first thing you need to order is a Poultry Press subscription so you can see the shows in the area you live in. Next go to the American Poultry Association or American Bantam Association and locate the judges that they have listed on their site. Also, look up the District and State Directors on this site. Print out the names that apply to your state or region and maybe email them or call them on the phone and ask them where the next shows are going to be at in your area and just attend them. There are many great shows in the east Midwest, south and the south west and some but stretched out in the west.

There is a couple of web sites that have a list of the popular shows on them and I will edit this with their address for you to go to. You can go for just a few hours take pictures, get contacts maybe buy some birds or if lucky the breeder will bring you a trio of breeders. I myself sold a trio of large fowl reds to a junior in Feb and two trios of red bantams in March that I no longer needed. So you never know what might happen.
    http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/District_state_meets.htm

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  5. bayocum

bayocum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Central California
    Another good resource for younger entrants is your local 4-H. You can find the national site here: http://www.4-h.org/ They will have information about local clubs where you can get your kids connected (if you have them) and you can learn too.

6. monnie662

monnie662 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    Mississippi
    Could not resist sharing this comic strip.
    [​IMG]

7. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Just wanted to put a couple pictures of my 21 week old Underwood pullets. I couldn't get any good shots of the cockerels so this will have to do. I am so tickled with the length of back on these girls also the color, type and the dark tails. These photos aren't touched up, they really are that dark. I know they will lighten up when they start to lay but they sure are pretty right now.This group I hatched from eggs from Mr. Jim Heinz (BYC member) I got 18 eggs from Jim, 15 made it to lock down and 12 hatched. Of the 12, I got 9 pullets and 3 cockerels. 5 were from the RC pen and 7 from the SC. Ended up with 6 SC pullets 1 SC Cockerel, 2 RC Cockerels and 3 RC Pullets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next group are 8 weeks old that I got from Gary. He sent me 25 but on didn't make the trip to well. I have 24 of these and they are really getting nice. Gary toe punched each of these and called and said all I have to do is call him and he will help tell me which to put with which for breeding next year. I'm so glad to have this many Underwood birds to choose from and start breeding. I have no idea what the ratio of male to female I have in this group yet. lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

Band that one in the second picture & keep an eye on her. I think she's gonna be a winner.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Very nice... [​IMG]

10. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Boy Bill, you sure made me feel good about that. Makes me think that I have a little bit of an eye because she is the one that I have picked out since the very beginning. lol Thank you so much. I am constantly rubbing on her because she is one of the two tamest ones of the bunch also.
    Thanks again
    Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by