1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thank ya cmom

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have some nice dark chicks out of my last hatch. I hope they turn out as nice as yours... Here are the mothers when they were younger. I also have some Red Sex Links there too, and my Rhode Island Whites.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  3. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I remember this picture from when you first posted it. lol I don't forget to many things "yet". I used to have the red sex links also. They sure do lay and a monster egg. I got rid of all mine. I hoping to only have HRIR's by this time next year.
    Jim

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I wish I could say that I don't forget. I have to write everything down before I forget it. A fox got 4 of my HRIR girls last night. We set traps out today. I saw the fox with the birds.

5. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Oh my gosh, so sorry. I had a coon visit about a month ago and got two of my layer flock. I had to do some changing of things and haven't had any problems since. Sure hope it stays that way.

6. bayocum

bayocum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Central California
    So sorry to hear that...it's never fun losing our birds, and worse to see it happen. Good luck with the trap.[​IMG]

7. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I had a opossum the other morning making a b-line right for the chickens, with nose in the air. I ran straight at him. The only thing I could fine at the moment was a oak 2x2 sitting against the house. Well that opossum is buzzard feed in the back lot now. Nothing, don't care what it is is getting in my chickens!!! [​IMG]

8. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    On a better note. lol Here is one of Ron's girls he sent me. Starting to feather in nicely. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky

Thank you very much, you are correct there is a definite fear for me of delving in to something like this. I dong have a fear of losing, I'm no sore loser i think it is just the unknown and new experience of it all. The meeting new people and not knowing Half of what they do on these birds and yea ill appreciate the knowledge but just the whole experience frightens me a little.

I did find a show to go to in lucasville, Ohio may 25th! im pretty excited and I plan to buy if I see something I really want.

I'm stuck on the fence right now of which breed I would like to get into if I were to show and breed. I really love my silkies and HRIR and I guess I could try both but seems like a lot to take on for a beginner.
    I will do what you said and start taking notes and contacting to find where my most local shows are.

All this brings me to my next question? What made you choose HRIRs and why did you stay with it? Why not a different breed? I'm very new and both the breeds I'm interested in are 2wk old chicks sitting in my brooder, so that's as far as my experience goes. Both bought from some decent lines.

10. stefanfarms

stefanfarms Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2012
    windsor CT
    Sry to hear about that fox cmom. Had the same problem here last year, had to redo everything and then a hawk so redid it again. No problems since hope it stays that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by