The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. topgunn601

topgunn601 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    Here in Mississippi owls and hawks fall under federal law I believe.

2. Bill Matthews

Bill Matthews Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    What happened to this thread?.............The RI Reds are such gorgeous chickens.....A good friend has about 80 hens and 5 roosters that he got from a hatchery in Nebraska:.Central Hatchery..Even though these are not as good as the ones I see in the pictures if there are as few left as the post said in 2010 it is a place to start....I think Welp and Privett Hatcheries also have Dark Red RI Reds....The RIR's from Central are large type and also darker than Production Reds but not as dark as the ones on the thread from 2010.....The figures for 2010 seem very and unrealisticly low to me....Never could understand how SPPA determines its Priority Categories from the way it collects its figures....Good luck to anyone working on the beautiful Old Type Reds...

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    How about the Rhodebar breed? they are just RIR with the barring gene(thats why they look lighter colored) and are autosexing,
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicalandia [​IMG]

just so you guys can see how good Rhodebars can look when breed to RIR standars

[​IMG]

4. ChickMagnet207

ChickMagnet207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Maine
    [​IMG] Might as well start with Shamo, look how closely you can breed shamo's to rhode island red type standards. Just think in about 5,000 years you will get great Rhode Island Reds out of this guy!

5. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    Give me some good old fashion Cherry Eggers. In 20 to 39 years you might get them like ri reds.

How many thousand cheery eggers will be sold this spring? There will be a few hundred R I Reds. Many are getting them from the new folks thank goodness for that.

I have five half and half R I Reds and they are doing pretty good. Hatching many red bantams.

Wont find those in hatcheries worth having.

1 person likes this.
  7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    is this directed at me?

8. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Those dont look like theyre bred to the RIR standard, the original Rhodebars imported to the US were crossed with production reds to increase their egg production.

9. 15littlem

15littlem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2012
    Just got 3 beautiful RIR's from a local 4H girl. She raised them like pets! I can't wait to get pics. Apparently some of her chickens have won at the county fair, these have been kept like they are top show winners!

10. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Yep, when I put on my rose colored glasses, they look just like my road island reds just lighter. I really can't tell if the sun is shining brightly on his tail feathers or if that is white just like the standard calls for. Just look at those nice low set, spread tails on those hens and that cock bid and that absolutely gorgeous brick shape and that nice long back. Yep I think they look just like the birds that I gave up all my McMurray hatchery birds for a couple of years ago. I sure have gotten rid of a lot of birds that I could have kept for breeders. I thought the SOP stated something different then what I'm seeing.
    Seriously, that is one chunky fella and I bet would make one good meal for Sunday dinner but I don't think that he is what I am supposed to be looking for in my keepers. If i'm wrong please let me know before I start culling through all my young ones this year.

I hope you all know that this is a joke. I don't own rose colored glasses and all of those birds are nice for what they are. I am not against anyone having them but they can't be confused for the real RIR.
    Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by