The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. bayocum

bayocum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Central California
    They look great Ron...I'll try to get some pictures up of mine soon. [​IMG]

2. topgunn601

topgunn601 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    Here are my 3 week old Mohawks[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can hardly wait to see them grown out!!

3. Mumsy

Mumsy Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

This is one of my shipped Ron Fogle chicks. Hunkering down in the cold outdoors but gentle to handle. All eleven are growing and thriving.

[​IMG]

This is an eight day old Ron Fogle chick from shipped eggs. All eleven that hatched are also growing and thriving.
    Twenty two beautiful RIR chicks to enjoy watching and I'm anticipating Ron F. helping me pick out the best for my breeding pen.

4. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Horstman Poultry chicks at 2 - 2 1/2 weeks...time is going by so slow! They are pictured with my 4 silkie chicks as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This RIR chick wanted nothing to do with the other chicks, it stayed in my lap the whole time and slept and if I took it off it would hop back onto my leg and fall back to sleep. :) They all really are such sweet birds, much more friendly than my silkies.

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    You will have trouble feeding those when they a grown! as they don't act like chickens and scamper/or go berserk getting out of the way. You just ease your way through them to the feeder and all's well in RIR land. [​IMG]

I have 12 and not a one has a flighty bone in its body, I like that, [​IMG]

Jeff

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

Thank you! I think killing a beautiful bird of prey because you didn't house your poultry properly is worse than bad form, I think it's despicable.

7. Bill Matthews

Bill Matthews Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    I certainly do not claim to have the depth of knowledge and background experience of breeding heritage chickens that Mr. Blosl does, but I do know for sure that the proliferation of web forums and sites over the past ten years proves that the revival of interest in backyard and small farm flocks is due to people seeking safer and more enjoyable food sources. I think this is a good thing ,and if managed well , can lead to a similar revival of interest in standard bred heritage chickens such as RIR's.........No one disputes the fact that feedstore and commercial hatchery RIR's are not show chickens....But I certainly doubt that ALL HATCHERY RIR'S are "mutts"---whatever that means....Truth is there are NO PURE BLOODED breeds. All are composites...Many of the so-called master breeders mix breeds from time to time to enhance their stock's IMITATION OF THE STANDARD OF PERFECTION...Many of you are way too hard on the average people with less than perfect flocks....Fifty years in the Grain and Feed business has taught me a few things.. First of all, most people select the breeds or crosses available to them at a price they can afford. Few average people have even heard of the Standard or know what a standard bred heritage breed is. Secondly, today's flock owners are simply not going to raise a strain or breed that doesn't perform economically....By insisting on rigidly arbitrary color and form standards a breeder confines his/her appeal to a few people interested in these considerations...This is a GOOD THING FOR THOSE INTERESTED in that, but hardly justifies a condescending attitude to everyone else.......I still have a small flock of New Hampshires that I got from Colonial Poultry Farms in 1988 . Many of them are as good as most of the Hamps I occasionally see at the few shows I attend. ... Given enough time and patience you CAN MAKE A SILK PURSE FROM A PIG'S EAR...Thanks to all the wonderful people like Mr. Blosl who have kept the RIR's and others going..God Bless.

8. monnie662

monnie662 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    Mississippi
    http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-13.pdf here is the website that my wildlife rehab friend sent to me. Says you can get a depredation permit to control problems, but I agree with you on this, keep those pens tightened up so nothing can get in them.

9. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Well said Bill and it needed to be said.
    I know that a few things that turn me off quicker than anything is bickering and rudeness in whatever I am interested in, be it hostas, daylilies, or RIR's or marans. I love the dark eggs that a marans produces but the obsessive attitude that some people take with the SOP is a huge downer and I am too old for such petty things. I will keep a few marans just for the pretty eggs, but don't have any interest in their forum or clubs. Too much drama in that breed ( and the buckeye breed too). Good grief people.........
    I am not new to poultry but have raised mixed flocks for 25 plus years and I am just now to the point in my life that I can afford better stock than MM or the such. I hope that my rosecomb RIRs that I am getting in a few weeks will make me happy and I can continue to breed and study them and maintain lines with the SOP guiding me. (yes, I bought one on amazon).
    I have a few black LF javas from shipped eggs that are a year old now and just starting to lay. So far they aren't catching my fancy. I will wait a year and see how the eggs they produce will turn out. Maybe they will catch my interest more. Right now, the hens aren't laying very well and I hope they will kick into production a little better as they get a few months older. If not, they may not make the cut to keep them at my farm. They have to earn their keep and two eggs a week probably won't be worth keeping.

10. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Beautiful pics by the way, love the daffodils with those little ray of sunshines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by