The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Yeah I got that too, but some folks don't know not to keep that sort of stuff out of the limelight, so to say. You can't hardly help it if the "wise" ol' owl messed up and got in the weasel or fox trap, but too, its always best to practice the three SSS in a case such as this,,

SHOOT,SHOVEL, and most importantly SHUSH

Jeff

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

In every state Owls & Hawks fall under Federa Law. That's why it's called Federal Law, it applies to the entire nation.

1 person likes this.
  3. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    Got a email from a lady who has some Rhode Island Red bantams. She got them from a person who I consider a string man. They are pretty good typed and colored birds she thinks. They won champion SCCL at a small show with one.

Want to get a female from me and cross into their line. Why I don't know.

Good idea bad idea?

4. Bill Matthews

Bill Matthews Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    I appreciate all the comments on the RIR'S....I mistakenly wrote SPPA when I meant ALBC Priority Categories...Thanks......I believe that since most of the resurgence in small flock poultry is due to people fed up with garbage commercial poultry products, the true standard heritage breeds suffer from a perception that most heritage breeds are good to look at on a sunny spring day, but that they lay poorly and grow slowly....RIR's and their cousin New Hampshires are two of the most beautiful heritage breeds...It is sad that both are in decline because of genetic abuse and over commercialization...Thanks again..

5. topgunn601

topgunn601 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    Ex
    Excuse me I guess it should have read hawks also. Thanks for setting it straight!!

6. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    The reason they declined is no buddy raises them anymore. The commercial stuff are really not the same breed just washed out genetic mutts trying to look like the breed.

However, there is a comeback this year. Next year may even double in the R I Reds. New Hamps I have no idea it may be just a fad and back to few in three to five years only time will tell. I like the New German Imports some say they are not true to the standard. If they loose their popularity I don't think we will see may in the next ten years. The grow fast, lay well, have good meat properties and are very pretty. Everything you could ask in a dual purpose fowl.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

8. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    You're right Ron

I'll drop the varmint issue, wrong place for it here .

Jeff

9. hungry4eggs

hungry4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia
    IMHO if you can't handle loses do not own birds, predators do what they are born to do. To kill Hawks and Owls because you did not take precautions is bad form Pan, bad form.

1 person likes this.
  10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Lets get back to HRIRs!

These are St. Romain\ Ricky Bates\Ron Fogel RIRs and they are a couple days older than two weeks. The pictures were taken tonight:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by