The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Wow, that's quite an endorsement. The only qualm I have at the moment, is that while they are beautiful, they are not early feathering like the original... Zanna told me they were weeks behind her other chickens. She loves them, they get good meat on them, but I'm unsure how to balance my practical need for a quick maturing meat bird with my urge to help renew a Heritage bird. Someone pointed me to Cpartist http://eightacresfarm.weebly.com/delawares.html ...and while they started with hatchery, it's pretty amazing how they've bred up in size and she appears to be conciencious<sp> regarding SOP? Pros / cons on each?

You are the expert, Mr. B, and I am not. :) Is this a situation like discussed elsewhere where "angels fear to tread" is appropriate? I mean, I'm trying to work a couple of difficult things here. <hey, where did this logical, *sane* voice come from! quick, somebody quash it!> Also, I would not (at this moment) be obtaining direct from Kathy, I'd be ordering eggs from Zanna who obtained F4's from Kathy this year. She is going to be culling pretty heavily, it sounds like. That's a good question, actually. If Zanna culls well, and she's sending next gen eggs, how many does one order to guess that after heavy culling, would still have at least 2 cockerels and 4 pullets to work with? 2 dozen? 4 dozen? all at once, or once a month a new batch until X dozen reached? This is a serious level of complexity here... Oi! Vey!

Not consistent with my experience. I received some Delawares from Kathy this year & I've been amazed by how rapidly they've grown & feathered. Never had "the original" so can't make that comparison but compared to the other birds I raise only the waterfowl develop faster.
As to your how many .... question that's a classic counting your chickens before they hatch situation. I started with 25 chicks & have culled down to 2 males & 6 females I'm happy with. Don't know how many shipped eggs it would take to get to 25 chicks though.

the above bird was grand champion of the Michigan Stae Fair about five years or so ago. This male was Tim Bowles bird who works with Dick in his breeding programs and shares birss with him.

I can see certain things of this male that are good he needs more depth so he does not look so leggy. I also got a message from a beginner today and many over the past month on culling down from their stock. This is a hard time for newbies as they have the numbers from the chicks or eggs but don't know which ones to keep and get rid of. Its a scarry time as you don't want to make any mistakes and yet you got to make room for the birds to grow. Some say I just got my standard of perfection so I am having them read the first 90 pages over and over to learn other things beside the breed shape and color its very important. I am trying to get them to read and learn the cuts or point section. Should you keep a eight point male or a six point male in his comb. Naturally you want a five point but six is fine.

A few are seeing he contrast to what they had last year from the feed store. Some are saying I am happy with my birds but could I do better. Should I look into another four dozen eggs from SO and So next spring. In some cases I say why not you might be able to up grade and improve your over all gene pool and then get rid of what you have that you started with. There are some very good strains out there that are three to five years a head of each other and you want to get the best you can so you can reach your personnel goals. Some folks do not want to up grade and are happy with what they have. So something to think about as move into next year. Just don't cross these strains to think you will hit the lottery. You will hit genetic diversity so hard it will nock you off the turnip truck.

Bob, I am one of those who would really like to have my birds evaluated by someone more knowledgable...
I am hoping your friend just south of Chattanooga can maybe stop by some time this fall and give me his opinion, as I suspect I could learn a WHOLE lot with some hands on evaluation.
I have procrastinated talking with him because I'd like as much age on my birds as possible, but I know a lot of folks are probably coming to Knoxville this winter for the big show, so I was hoping to get someone to come to my place in the fall (or at the time of the show), to get some help.
I am more than willing to pay someone for their time to do this.
If anyone is in the Knoxville/Chattanooga area at all this fall and is interested, please contact me.
My birds are RC directly from Gary Underwood... I'd like to think there are some keepers in there... just need help determining who the keepers are.
I am developing opinions, but would like to have those opinions verified.

I have toyed with traveling to someone else rather than have someone come here(Bob is not too terribly far from me), but I have 20 birds, so that's a lot to haul.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help. In the meantime, I am hoping to put up some pics this fall to get some help here from this thread.

the above bird was grand champion of the Michigan Stae Fair about five years or so ago. This male was Tim Bowles bird who works with Dick in his breeding programs and shares birss with him. I can see certain things of this male that are good he needs more depth so he does not look so leggy. I also got a message from a beginner today and many over the past month on culling down from their stock. This is a hard time for newbies as they have the numbers from the chicks or eggs but don't know which ones to keep and get rid of. Its a scarry time as you don't want to make any mistakes and yet you got to make room for the birds to grow. Some say I just got my standard of perfection so I am having them read the first 90 pages over and over to learn other things beside the breed shape and color its very important. I am trying to get them to read and learn the cuts or point section. Should you keep a eight point male or a six point male in his comb. Naturally you want a five point but six is fine. A few are seeing he contrast to what they had last year from the feed store. Some are saying I am happy with my birds but could I do better. Should I look into another four dozen eggs from SO and So next spring. In some cases I say why not you might be able to up grade and improve your over all gene pool and then get rid of what you have that you started with. There are some very good strains out there that are three to five years a head of each other and you want to get the best you can so you can reach your personnel goals. Some folks do not want to up grade and are happy with what they have. So something to think about as move into next year. Just don't cross these strains to think you will hit the lottery. You will hit genetic diversity so hard it will nock you off the turnip truck.
Bob, the bird in the top picture looks like Greg Chamness's bird from about 3-4 years ago?

There are some very good strains out there that are three to five years a head of each other and you want to get the best you can so you can reach your personnel goals.

I'm of the opinion my starting point needs to be as far along as possible. I have gotten back into showing birds after an 18 year absence and I'm a retiree. I don't have lots of years to get to a decent "starting" point. I need to take advantage of the hard work of others for a jumping off point!

That's why I'm here, to decide where to re-start.

Thanks for the advice, opinions are always welcome!

Back
Top Bottom