The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Quote:
Oh sorry. Thanks she's not doing well right now.
barnie.gif

Quote:
barnie.gif

Are you talking about the bird in post #517 ? If so she's a production type Red. Her ground colour is much too light & those black spangles all over don't belong there. She looks like a healthy, well cared hen but certainly not what's being called a "Heritage" Red.

Quote:
barnie.gif

Are you talking about the bird in post #517 ? If so she's a production type Red. Her ground colour is much too light & those black spangles all over don't belong there. She looks like a healthy, well cared hen but certainly not what's being called a "Heritage" Red.

She moulted out and barely has any of those back spangles on her now.

Quote:
That is a major "downfall" with this line in that you have to hold on to them for a long time to tell if there going to be any good or not. Most of the roosters that I keep wont hit the breeding pen till there at least a year and a half to 2 years old and pullets don't start laying till there around a year old.
wink.png

Chris

This is something Ive found out being new to the heritage breeds. My rose comb pullets are 11 months and have yet to start laying. Very slow maturing.

Quote:
That is a major "downfall" with this line in that you have to hold on to them for a long time to tell if there going to be any good or not. Most of the roosters that I keep wont hit the breeding pen till there at least a year and a half to 2 years old and pullets don't start laying till there around a year old.
wink.png

Chris

This is something Ive found out being new to the heritage breeds. My rose comb pullets are 11 months and have yet to start laying. Very slow maturing.

and I was thinking my birds just don't lay good. they're just about 11months old and just starting to lay

Back
Top Bottom