The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Quote:
I like the top male the best ( at least by the picture). The second male seems to have a short back and the third one slope up too much.

I will have to get updated/better pictures posted, I cull out for bad backs (short and sloping). This is the same Single comb but a year older and still growing and adding length to back.
Like I said to Jake this line is slow to mature and fill out including length of back.
33115_lunapic_129397474028699_2.jpg

Chris

Quote:
That is a major "downfall" with this line in that you have to hold on to them for a long time to tell if there going to be any good or not. Most of the roosters that I keep wont hit the breeding pen till there at least a year and a half to 2 years old and pullets don't start laying till there around a year old.
wink.png

Chris

Hi Chris

Who did they originate with?

My Ideals matured earlier then that, but then they are production htachery birds, few of the roos look like him. A couple close, they are going to local 4H'ers.

Quote:
The ones in the pictures are a Dennis Myers (single Comb), Dick Hostman (rose comb) cross.
I started out will 1 Myers rooster and 3 Myers hens and 1 Hostman rooster and 5 Hostman hens.
As of now I have a pure Dennis Myers line of Single Combs, a pure Dick Horstman line of Rose Combs and a line that is a cross of Myers and Horstman with a little Don Nelson stock mixed in but not much about a 1/16th to a 1/8th.

If everything go's as planed we will have this line at Ohio Nationals this year.

Chris

Thats a terrible terrible roo,

you dont want him,

crate him and send him to me.

I'll do something with his tail carriage.

Chris I keep hearing so much good about the Horstman reds that I think I want to get some .

Outback, is that six heritage reds?

Quote:
Oh well and I thought I was getting a half way decent breeding roo when I bought him. He is
only about 11 months old now so that puts him being the same age as the only
two hens I have been able to find down this way.
His feathers got a little ruffled on the ride home yesterday and last night. It took about
7 hours to get home after getting him and then I had to stop and get a few buckeye hens and a roo
for them from somone else. Everybody seems happy today though.

Last edited:
I think you are going to like him and his chicks, post pics of them when you get them, really like to see what he will do for you. Looks like a big boy too.

Back
Top Bottom