The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

52bfk4.jpg

Just found this thread. Awesome pictures guys. One of my RIRs.

old*cowboy :

http://i54.tinypic.com/52bfk4.jpg
Just found this thread. Awesome pictures guys. One of my RIRs.

Can you tell us about the bird you had in your picture. What strain is he from how long have you been breeding Standard Quality R I Reds. What city in Okla do you live in. If folks want to get some of your extra birds this year are you willing to share them with them.??

For those who wonder what a good R I Red should look like for color and shape this pictue tells it all.

Bob​

I have been reading this thread since I joined BYC and thought I would show you some pictures of the trio that I plan on using to establish my new flock. I also have ten chicks from this line that are around 13 weeks old . After working with another line of LF RIR for awhile, it became clear to me that they are never going to be quality in type. So I decided to start again with better stock.
I have spoken to Bob about this trio and line and he believes the genes are present to get some really nice birds in three years or so.
Ron

70479_imgp3147_2.jpg

70479_imgp3143_2.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
red_l_k.jpg

The female in the front I like her type. Kind of reminds me of Dennis Meyers old line his females looked like this.

I have found a picture of two males sent me by Rickey Bates and he asked me what I thought of them a few years ago when he got this line. Iloved them. You can seek the lenth of body and dark color they looked great. I hope your young chicks look something like these males. I dont know what happen to these two males. I can only hope that maybe you will get a nice long brick shape ckl and then I would mate him to this long bodied female. Maybe the next year you can get two or three pullets that will look like her and you can get back with a strain where the males look like these two fellows.

There is a article on the interent titled . Its written on the subjectRHODE ISLAND REDS

THE LOST SECRETS of Large Fowl Reds. You need to read this article and then set a goal in your minds eye to go after the old genes of these two males. I look forward in helping you find these genes. Glad you have this strain of Rickeys.bob

Last edited:
Quote:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/katz0556/red_l_k.jpg
The female in the front I like her type. Kind of reminds me of Dennis Meyers old line his females looked like this.

I have found a picture of two males sent me by Rickey Bates and he asked me what I thought of them a few years ago when he got this line. Iloved them. You can seek the lenth of body and dark color they looked great. I hope your young chicks look something like these males. I dont know what happen to these two males. I can only hope that maybe you will get a nice long brick shape ckl and then I would mate him to this long bodied female. Maybe the next year you can get two or three pullets that will look like her and you can get back with a strain where the males look like these two fellows.

There is a article on the interent titled . Its written on the subjectRHODE ISLAND REDS

THE LOST SECRETS of Large Fowl Reds. You need to read this article and then set a goal in your minds eye to go after the old genes of these two males. I look forward in helping you find these genes. Glad you have this strain of Rickeys.bob

I like the 2 males you pictured Bob. They show the length & depth of body a properly bred Red requires. They also have good tail spread & proper tail angle.
The male in the post you quoted is much too short in the body. he is pinched in the tail & his tail is closer to 45 degrees than 20 degrees.
I agree that the type of the front female isn't bad, certainly better than the male, but I suspect she's small.

Thank y'all for your input it is exactly what I need to learn what to look for in a bird.
When I aquired this trio it was clear that work was needed and I am ready to take it on. I did however know what this line looked like when I saw them a couple years ago and feel the genitics are in there.
The hen y'all noted is the nicest of the three and is larger than the picture implies.
I have four ckl from this line maybe one of them will be closer to type.
Having true RIR is a commitment and I know it will take time. I appreciate your honest opinions.
I will post some pics of my chicks when they grow out more.
Bob the single chick I hatched from Gary Ramey is a pullet and is starting feather out nicely. It is still to young to tell much but it is already pretty dark and the feathers appear wider at her age than the George Ryan line I have has at the same age.

Last edited:
He is a picture of one of my George Ryan line pullets I hatched in April beside a production pullet from my wife's laying flock hatched a week earlier. We are now going to phase out the production birds and use the Ryan birds for our laying flock.
70479_imgp3169_2.jpg

Last edited:
hiya i bought a rhode island red 3weeks ago,she/he should be about 13weeks now,i say she/he because we bought her as a girl but were thinking now its a boy.shes changed so much in the last few weeks,and her tails feathers are going green and starting to bend over ,anyway im not expert but tell me what you think,if u need any other pics let me,x
100254_dscn0866.jpg
100254_dscn0868.jpg

100254_dscn0877.jpg
100254_dscn0878.jpg

Quote:
Can you tell us about the bird you had in your picture. What strain is he from how long have you been breeding Standard Quality R I Reds. What city in Okla do you live in. If folks want to get some of your extra birds this year are you willing to share them with them.??

For those who wonder what a good R I Red should look like for color and shape this pictue tells it all.

Bob

I have been breeding RIreds in Bantam size off and on for 40 years. Got my first ones from a old man in Arapaho Okla by the name of Lee Johnson. I plan on doing some showing this year. I have not showed poultry in several years, have always shown pigeons. The bird in the picture came from a swap meet. He is an awesome bird, but mean as heck. I figure that is why I found him. Sorry cant tell much on his origin. I have a few young hatched and am breeding out of 2 unrelated trios. My first large show I plan on attending is Shawnee Okla in Dec, unless I find another here n Okla before that. I may have a few birds for sale at this show. Guy

Guy, there's the Tulsa State Fair. The show is actually very nice. Good quality birds. Being a fair, they generally house you in an air-conditioned building next to the OK State vet/birthing exhibit and petting zoo. You can win money, depending on how many birds are in your class and how high you place. It's actually quite fun as if you get tired of the show, you can walk outside and see the thousands of other exhibits. It's a BIG fair.

Back
Top Bottom