The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Quote:
They look a little big but hard to tell from the pictures.
There looks to be about average and I would also keep an eye on the tail and tail angle.
wink.png

If you get a picture of them on a table that would be great.

Chris

thanks Chris, I do appreciate you guys helping a newb, had hard luck with hatching eggs- think it got too hot on me into late May, got just 2 of shelleys rosecomb red chicks coming up though and really see the difference in feathering already. will probably try with shadylane farms in cooler weather.

will get some pics this weekend just for critiquing.

thanks again for all the info on the thread.

Just want a good heritage line to raise. I have never even been to a show. I would like to see some pictures of shady lanes line other than the rooster on their site. Do they have true heritage rir's? I had bought some eggs from them before, but i think they were among the ones i lost during the storms here in Al. Thanks, Billy

lucky123,

are you looking for single comb or rose comb? bantam or large fowl? eggs to hatch or what?

the reason i ask : i have some rose comb LF i got from Adrian Rademacher back in March & when they start laying i can get you some eggs. - it would be helpfull to have someone close by (i live on Sand Mountain) to trade birds with if needed.

Junior

Got a personal email at my home computer from some one who has been out of Rhode Island Red large fowl for 20 years. Said he can not get over how few they are out there to choose from. He as asked for help but people keep telling them him to contact hatcherys for a start or order eggs.

Seems like nothing has changed much in 20 years thank God I did not give up and found the real Heritage Rhode Island Reds from Mr. Reese in Georgia.

Problem today its twice as hard to get started than I did 20 years ago.

He has the passion and said he would be willing to wait a year or two to get the real McCoys.

I have not posted in a long time I took the year off from Chickens and got into fly fishing. At least their is still the real stuff out their to Fly Fish with. I just bought a 30 year old English Salmon Reel Saturday for a song. I bought some old Heritage Fly Rods from Wright and McGill on Ebay two months ago. At least these old time rods are pure and Old. Today they want $400. for a good fly rod. I bought five rods for $80 and two of the Fly Rods cost back in the 1970s in Washington State $50. each back them. I also bought a bunch of old Quick Dam Germany Fishing reels on Ebay for about $20. each One came in a box and had $19,95 on the sticker and was sold in Oregon 40 years ago. It took a little oil and lube and they work just like they did when I was a kid. They dont make reels like these anymore and if you get one kind of like these you are looking for about $200 or more for a spinning reel like these.

Has many people got chicks out from Eggs from Gary Ramey of South Carolina? The two contacts that I got got poor hatches about 15% Any one have pictures of thier chicks yet? Remember to take pictures when they start crowing and laying eggs that will be the test to see if they are the old fashion Heritage look I am hoping for.

I have a fellow who bought the last trio of Ricky Bates Large Fowl and about 15 of his chicks that he hatched befor he died. The pictues of two males on Rickey Bates web site looked alot like my old males from 15 years ago. I will try to locate these pictures to show you. To me they where long brick shaped dark as black males. Even if these bird are a little run down hill the gene pool is still there and maybe with luck this fellow will get some chicks in a year or two that looks like the males Rickey sent me pictures of about a year or so ago when he bought the birds from the St. Romains of Louisina.
I gave the Romain family ten young birds about 15 years ago. The story goes they could not get any chicks out of my birds so they crossed them onto some buddy elses reds. That may be so but the males that Ricky sent pictures of to me where killers. They sure looked like my old Mohawks from ten years ago.

About Mohawks did any one get chicks from Greg Chamness this year? Any pictures?

Well thats my long time message. If you see any old fashion dark colored almost black brick shape Rhode Island Reds out there tell me about them. Maybe I can help two or three people next year get started in some good Heritage Large Fowl Reds. If they are not almost Black in the males and brick shaped dont bother to tell me about them. You can get the other kinds at the feed store in the sping. I did help a lady get 50 pullets from Ideal hatchery and they look good. She hope to sell eggs from these pullets to make a little side money. They look like a cross between a production red and a Heritage Red. But they are not the old fashion R I Reds but great layers.

Well I am going to go out side and make me another free range pullet pen for my mohawk red bantams. Have ten pullets that need to get on grass and be protected from the Hawks.

Bob

Quote:
There looks to be about average and I would also keep an eye on the tail and tail angle.
wink.png

Chris

Saw your pitures they are dark red they have a tilt to thier top lines called Rainy Day Reds. They are suppose to be flat on the top line and legs dead center.
They kind of look like my bantams about 15 years ago when I was shrinking them down. How much do they weigh? Do you have a scale?

There is a strain of Large Fowl Reds in Fla and the breeder lives in Calahan Fla. Name is Brian Simmons. Do you live near this fellow?

At least they are dark in color so they are R I Reds.

Hope this helps you a little bit. Bob

Quote:
Billy I sent you a personel message but I dont know if it got to you.

There is a fellow in Calahan Fla by the name of Bryan Simmons. I would like to go there with about five boxes and pick me up two cock birds and two hens and maybe a ckl and two pullets.

He has the Mohawk strain how do I know? I sold his parents ten started chicks when he was a junior 15 years ago. They are still pure EW Reese Jr. Large Fowl Reds.

Hope to see six to eight of them in lower alabama this fall. I have a friend who said he has them on order. If so I can hold a large fowl red again its been almost ten years. Got them in little bantams but not in the 8 1/2 pound ckl size.

Hope this helps you. bob

Quote:
wink.png

Chris

Saw your pitures they are dark red they have a tilt to thier top lines called Rainy Day Reds. They are suppose to be flat on the top line and legs dead center.
They kind of look like my bantams about 15 years ago when I was shrinking them down. How much do they weigh? Do you have a scale?

There is a strain of Large Fowl Reds in Fla and the breeder lives in Calahan Fla. Name is Brian Simmons. Do you live near this fellow?

At least they are dark in color so they are R I Reds.

Hope this helps you a little bit. Bob

thanks Robert, I am always up for a road trip.

grew up fly-fishing the trout streams of the catskill mountains, good stuff. brook trout, rainbow, brown...

I like the bantams, wish they were mohawk, will get some more pics for you all. thanks for the knowledge.

thomas

Bob,

i never heard back from Greg. I PM'd him earlier (Jan or Feb.) he told me i was on the list so, i didn't want to bug him with a bunch of messages - maybe i sould have.

i was also on the list of someone else that has good LF SC Reds - never heard back from him.

the only Reds i was able to get was the RC from Mr. Radamacher - i'll grow them out and see how they do.i might just get a good trio or quad from the 10 i have.

oh well there is always next year i guess - i really want some from Greg or Brian.

Back
Top Bottom