The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I guess this stuff really upsets me. I'm not going to be as nice as most. I have shipped eggs to quite a lot of different states over the past couple of years and received them also and to this day I've never had a cracked or broken egg either way. People need to do a better job at packing their eggs. It always cost me a couple bucks more then I charge for the shipping but I don't care. I'd rather have a happy customer. I can't control the shaking that may mess up the air sacks etc but for the packing, if we use enough packing peanuts and bubble wrap I can't see the eggs breaking.
Just my thoughts on this. If I sent eggs that got all broken up, I would gladly have sent a new batch of eggs and I would have paid the shipping for the make up eggs.

X100

The best packing for shipping hatching eggs I ever saw was by an aquaintence. He can put 40 eggs in a medium flat rate box. When he designed this pack, he packed the eggs and then smacked it half a dozen times with an 8 pound sledge, much as if the box were a golf ball and the sledge were a golf club. All survived, so he figured he was good to go. If the box is crushed nothing will hold up, but under no
rmal conveyor handling this pack is terrific.

I have another thought. I know Bob was very passionate about the Rhode Island Red Club of America of which I believe he had been at one time President. Could something be done in his memory with it? I know for a fact that Bob is in the Rhode Island Red Club Hall of Fame created to honor past members who stood out over time as members of the Red Club. The criteria that the Hall of Fame Committee used to locate the top members in good standing with the Club for at least ten years or more, made substantial contributions in the area of breeding, exhibiting and general club works. Class of 2002 - Robert Blosl, Garry Underwood. Class of 2003 - Don Nelson.

OK... someone please tell me the trick to good RIR pics...
full sun? high noon? indoors?
The color in these pics is terrible and not a good representation and I'd really like to get some decent pics....
Would love opinions on these young pullets... but obviously ignore the coloring.

full sun? high noon? indoors?
The color in these pics is terrible and not a good representation and I'd really like to get some decent pics....
Would love opinions on these young pullets... but obviously ignore the coloring.

I have the same problem. I think it is my camera. I have a decent camera but not good enough to take high quality pictures. I try taking pictures of my birds too and the pictures don't show the birds truly. I also like to take pictures of sunrises and sunsets and the pictures don't do them justice. I think I need a higher quality camera.

full sun? high noon?  indoors?

I would like to have a whole flock of them. Very pretty!!!!

Scott

One of my Horstman RIRs laid her first egg today.

I will check later to see how old they are.

They are just over 28 weeks old.

Last edited:
I found an egg today from my Underwood pullets. They are just over 8 months old. It was a decent size for a pullet egg too. The marans are starting to lay, I am hoping the barren streak has ended.

I have the same problem. I think it is my camera. I have a decent camera but not good enough to take high quality pictures. I try taking pictures of my birds too and the pictures don't show the birds truly. I also like to take pictures of sunrises and sunsets and the pictures don't do them justice. I think I need a higher quality camera.
I'm not a photogragher, but I think natural indirect light would be best. Let them out late in the afternoon during low light conditions.

Back
Top Bottom