The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I may be mistaken since I only have experience with Virginia but you need to have NPIP for showing or be tested within a certain time period before each show.

Virginia also likes to see AI clean

We are both (NPIP and AI clean) and can only purchase/import from other NPIP clean sources.

I think there are some other States requiring NPIP for imports. Maryland and North Carolina come to mind. Probably because of the broiler farms located along the eastern shore

Last edited:
I may be mistaken since I only have experience with Virginia but you need to have NPIP for showing or be tested within a certain time period before each show.

We are both (NPIP and AI clean) and can only purchase/import from other NPIP clean sources.

I think there are some other States requiring NPIP for imports. Maryland and North Carolina come to mind. Probably because of the broiler farms located along the eastern shore

Thanks for the added States!

If the NPIP number is not on the box when shipped to Virgina, they have been known to destroy the eggs.

I believe this varies from state to state. Here in Arizona, no testing is needed. I have been told Texas has their own requirements for showing and doesn't allow other states' birds in. Someone correct me if this is not true, but was what I was told. There is also not very good enforcement for shipping birds or eggs; people here ship all over the U.S. with no NPIP papers--no questions asked at the PO, birds reach their destination. Just sayin'

It would be nice if it were all more standardized. Not that I have the means to show back in Ohio or PA, but heard stories of people from Arizona going all the way to PA to show, only to be turned away due to lack of papers/testing. Then I heard some shows will test the birds right then and there if need be. Seems like the rules are all over the place, makes it really confusing.

I know here in NC, they will test for pullorum/typhoid at the show(which is all but eradicated to be honest), but AI is a culture and is lab tested, so can't be done on the spot. If you are NPIP certified, you just provide your number and cage your birds.

Here in Florida NPIP testing is required if you are showing birds. If you are NPIP certified all you need to do is show your certification, if not there are testers at the show usually the evening before during coop in, and the morning of the show up until about a half hour before the show starts.

immyjay54 has these birds I think. Since you aren't getting them directly from Greg, but second hand, a note of caution, I suppose.

Anyhow, Jim has a blogsite/website where he has ooodles of information, photos, reviews, data and other good stuff on these various strains. Might want to check it out.

http://jimspetsandpoultry.weebly.com/

Under his "more" button, you'll find a few dozen pages of good info.

Last edited:
immyjay54 has these birds I think. Since you aren't getting them directly from Greg, but second hand, a note of caution, I suppose.

Anyhow, Jim has a blogsite/website where he has ooodles of information, photos, reviews, data and other good stuff on these various strains. Might want to check it out.

http://jimspetsandpoultry.weebly.com/

Under his "more" button, you'll find a few dozen pages of good info.
Just for the record, my young friend was under the impression that he was getting these birds from me...the impression was wrong. He is a fan of the NNs and I promised him a trio of F-1 birds to work with on his own. We know it will take several generations of judicial breeding to realize our expectations, especially since we are dealing with four distinct colors.

My thanks to those who have been willing to extend their knowledge and expertise.

Champion Large Fowl at The Sunshine Classic in Lake City, FL

Back
Top Bottom