The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Critique my reds?? GENTLY!!!! LOL YES I KNOW they are not show birds. But I love em anyway. However I am going to someday get some Heritage, Just not until I know a lot more. Untill then I am going to work with tweeking this flock. Just to help me learn without messing up a great line. I took these pics when I brought them out some oats and cream so those lil white spots are not them, lol just ON them. I already know the color is not right. I can get better pics if anyone would like to see them when the weather clears up a lil bit again. But I thought they would be an ok start. Please just the good points and bad points. Don't slaughter them. (HA HA). They were all hatched out the first two weeks of August 2013.

Ok. Give it to me.
hide.gif
Looks like my flock. I got hatchery Barred Rock, New Hampshire and Speckled Sussex and they all have the same pinched tail sticking straight up in the air. To their credit, they have been healthy, foraged well, and lay lots of eggs. It's the Hatchery Breed.

Something interesting... Do you think these 2 birds are related?

Okay, I'll play. Looking at the head and comb, they look identical i.e. same bird. But the lighting, body and tail set are different. Are they younger and older pictures of the same bird? The second looks less "filled out" than the first. The top picture is a gorgeous boy.

Critique my reds?? GENTLY!!!! LOL YES I KNOW they are not show birds. But I love em anyway. However I am going to someday get some Heritage, Just not until I know a lot more. Untill then I am going to work with tweeking this flock. Just to help me learn without messing up a great line. I took these pics when I brought them out some oats and cream so those lil white spots are not them, lol just ON them. I already know the color is not right. I can get better pics if anyone would like to see them when the weather clears up a lil bit again. But I thought they would be an ok start. Please just the good points and bad points. Don't slaughter them. (HA HA). They were all hatched out the first two weeks of August 2013. That is a nice looking flock of chickens!! I bet you are getting a ton of eggs from them. Scott Ok. Give it to me. :oops:

I would also say same bird just the bottom picture is the roo younger. Top picture is older. They have the same look, head and comb, same stance, and same in tail feathers. Younger picture tail is higher.
If you are going by picture/age, it can't be the same bird. The top bird won last year and the bottom bird just won a week or so ago. lol I for one do not think that it is the same bird. The top boy is filled out a little better and I love his keel. The bottom boy has super type also and looks to be a little more refined. The bottom boy has a better tail set (in the picture) but if I'm not mistaken, the top boy had a couple tail feathers that weren't grown in when he won. I was trying to see the spurs but the second one when blown up is a little fuzzy and can't see the spurs. Maybe it is just my eyes. lol
I will end with saying, whether they are the same bird or not which I truely don't think so, both pictures are a very good representation of what the breed should be. Matt, you should be very proud of all the birds that I've seen that belong to you and you deserve a pat on the back or on the top of your head. ha, ha. Keep up all your good work with them. Again I say, Bob was and would be today, Very proud of what you have done with your birds.
Jimmy

If you are going by picture/age, it can't be the same bird. The top bird won last year and the bottom bird just won a week or so ago. lol I for one do not think that it is the same bird. The top boy is filled out a little better and I love his keel. The bottom boy has super type also and looks to be a little more refined. The bottom boy has a better tail set (in the picture) but if I'm not mistaken, the top boy had a couple tail feathers that weren't grown in when he won. I was trying to see the spurs but the second one when blown up is a little fuzzy and can't see the spurs. Maybe it is just my eyes. lol
I will end with saying, whether they are the same bird or not which I truely don't think so, both pictures are a very good representation of what the breed should be. Matt, you should be very proud of all the birds that I've seen that belong to you and you deserve a pat on the back or on the top of your head. ha, ha. Keep up all your good work with them. Again I say, Bob was and would be today, Very proud of what you have done with your birds.
Jimmy

If they are not the same bird, I would guess that yes, they are related.

Jimmy

I am still learning from all you awesome red gurus ! I was just guessing. My second guess would be his son. But I am still admiring ! Thanks

Last edited:
Something interesting... Do you think these 2 birds are related?

O.K., O.K...I will not leave you in suspense any longer. Pretty good eye guys noticing the head and comb are the same...
These 2 pictures are of the SAME BIRD and were taken less than 2 months apart. The top picture is at the show in Baton Rouge in mid November and the bottom picture is from the show in Lake City the second weekend of January.
Why does he look so different you ask....well in Baton Rouge he was not finished with his molt and was missing about 15 feathers at the top of his tail. He still wasn't completely grown in at Lake City but very close. His chest has not changed a bit but the people that took the pictures did. This is the difference that a picture can make on a bird. The picture on the bottom he was not posed properly and the end result did not show how great of a chest this bird really has. The bottom picture was also taken with different lighting which makes the bird appear lighter than he really is.

Moral of the story....It is very hard to judge a bird by a picture.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom