The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I have decided to give up on Reds. I cant get any worth showing or even trying to breed. This was my 3rd attempt from "reputable" breeders and the same thing again... too many flaws to even think about breeding them and none really worth showing. I would love to help the Heritage RIR breed, but i cant keep spending money and getting only bad birds.

Pictures of the latest round of fail.

when the wind is spread on this pullet, almost evey
feather has white. Other pullets have more white than this one. this is the best looking cockerel.

I have decided to give up on Reds. I cant get any worth showing or even trying to breed. This was my 3rd attempt from "reputable" breeders and the same thing again... too many flaws to even think about breeding them and none really worth showing. I would love to help the Heritage RIR breed, but i cant keep spending money and getting only bad birds.

Pictures of the latest round of fail.

when the wind is spread on this pullet, almost evey
feather has white. Other pullets have more white than this one. this is the best looking cockerel.

How old are those birds? Are they in their adult plumage or do they still hav a molt to go? I see things about those birds I like. Don't be too quick to give up on them. If you don't mind my asking who all have you gotten them from?

How old are those birds? Are they in their adult plumage or do they still hav a molt to go? I see things about those birds I like. Don't be too quick to give up on them. If you don't mind my asking who all have you gotten them from?

These birds are about 10 months old. I dont want to mention a name on public forums about where i got them. He visits this forum and seems like a great guy. all i can do is hope they molt it out. can they moult it out and should i breed them?

The RIR chicks are growing like weeds. They have to be the heftiest little guys I've raised to date! Very alert too. No way to sneak up on them either. As soon as they hear the slightest sound, all the little heads pop up and swivel in that direction until they figure out who/what it is. Some are starting to get their dark "shoulder" feathers in. Loving them so far.

Last edited:
The RIR chicks are growing like weeds. They have to be the heftiest little guys I've raised to date! Very alert too. No way to sneak up on them either. As soon as they hear the slightest sound, all the little heads pop up and swivel in that direction until they figure out who/what it is. Some are starting to get their dark "shoulder" feathers in. Loving them so far.
I know without a doubt that you will continue to be amazed with those little turd birds. lol Enjoy them, they grow up quick. lol Jimmy

I have some 3rd generation HRIR under a broody which are eggs from pullets I hatched out from eggs from birds I got from Matt. I'm so excited. They are due to hatch on March 2nd.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence about hatching pullet eggs. I hope these turn out great for you. So exciting when you start seeing the results of your own breeding choices.

Why?

Matt

I'm not sure which of my three sentences you are questioning so I'll respond for all.

1. I'm on the fence about hatching pullet eggs.

I've read/heard both pros and cons (did you want me to list them?) for hatching eggs from pullets as soon as they start laying through waiting up to 2 years to select breeders. Most of it is anecdotal. Right now I am planning to select breeders at 12 - 14 months. It's not easy to wait sometimes, but experience has taught me when I've been most in a hurry for results was typically the time I should have exercised patience.

2. I hope these turn out great for you.

Because I hope everyone's hatches turn out great. Don't you?

3. So exciting when you start seeing the results of your own breeding choices.

Because it is! By the third generation one can start to see if the results of our choices of who to keep and pen with whom have achieved the desired result (and hopefully they do!)

Back
Top Bottom