The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I thought this forum needed a bump so...

I was out in the yard with my one month old heritage Rhode Island Red chicks on Sunday. The frequency of accipiter (copper's hawk) sightings keeps me on alert when the utes are out for play. I got distracted by a house sparrow carry nesting material to the martin house, and decided a thwarting was in line. The chicks becoming startled, I assumed, was due to the commotion of the thwarting, which included the squeaky down periscope action of the martin house pole. But when I looked up at the house descending over my head, I caught a glimpse of the long tail of an accipiter. I turned to holler at the chicks to find them already back in the run on their own, and most already back in the coop; the rest running hard that direction. I take it they have already met this adversary.

I thought this forum needed a bump so...

I was out in the yard with my one month old heritage Rhode Island Red chicks on Sunday. The frequency of accipiter (copper's hawk) sightings keeps me on alert when the utes are out for play. I got distracted by a house sparrow carry nesting material to the martin house, and decided a thwarting was in line. The chicks becoming startled, I assumed, was due to the commotion of the thwarting, which included the squeaky down periscope action of the martin house pole. But when I looked up at the house descending over my head, I caught a glimpse of the long tail of an accipiter. I turned to holler at the chicks to find them already back in the run on their own, and most already back in the coop; the rest running hard that direction. I take it they have already met this adversary.
Could be some natural instincts at play..in fact hopefully they haven't had any run-ins.They do hatch with a certain amount of 'self preservation savvy' IMHO.

RON

I now have my outside brooder (4 x 8) completed and invested in the Premier heat plate (love, love, love it) so I can do a lot more hatching in the future.
Penny
How many would you feel comfortable brooding at one time in an 8 x 4 brooder? I have one that size now and 50 chicks just ordered but wondering if it would be able to hold 50 comfortably when they get to 3-4 weeks old? Thinking I might need two of those for that many babies. What is a premier heat plate? Is it like some sort of "pipe wrap" or electric blanket thing that works at higher temperatures to maintain the 95 degree temp or whatever thermostat set temp range in the brooder?

Got any pics of the brooder to share? My main concerns (after temperature) is ventilation and lighting. I worry about the quality of air flow with a large number of birds in a tight space. I also worry about lighting not just from a fire safety perspective but also if I use cool led lighting I worry if it might not hurt their eyes (you know LED xmas lights save on electric costs and are fire safe but are like little laser pointers with the potential of causing new baby chicks to suffer vision damage or so I am told)

I now have my outside brooder (4 x 8) completed and invested in the Premier heat plate (love, love, love it) so I can do a lot more hatching in the future.
Penny

How many would you feel comfortable brooding at one time in an 8 x 4 brooder?  I have one that size now and 50 chicks just ordered but wondering if it would be able to hold 50 comfortably when they get to 3-4 weeks old?  Thinking I might need two of those for that many babies.  What is a premier heat plate?  Is it like some sort of "pipe wrap" or electric blanket thing that works at higher temperatures to maintain the 95 degree temp or whatever thermostat set temp range in the brooder?  

Got any pics of the brooder to share?  My main concerns (after temperature) is ventilation and lighting.  I worry about the quality of air flow with a large number of birds in a tight space.  I also worry about lighting not just from a fire safety perspective but also if I use cool led lighting I worry if it might not hurt their eyes (you know LED xmas lights save on electric costs and are fire safe but are like little laser pointers with the potential of causing new baby chicks to suffer vision damage or so I am told)

For the heat plate google Premier One Heat. They have two sizes. You'd need 2 of the large ones for that many chicks. And yes you would need to at least double your brooder area.
The most I have ever brooded to 6 weeks in the top half of the brooder below is about a dozen. You can fit a lot of chicks but they grow fast. The brooder below is just over 2x8

How many would you feel comfortable brooding at one time in an 8 x 4 brooder? I have one that size now and 50 chicks just ordered but wondering if it would be able to hold 50 comfortably when they get to 3-4 weeks old? Thinking I might need two of those for that many babies. What is a premier heat plate? Is it like some sort of "pipe wrap" or electric blanket thing that works at higher temperatures to maintain the 95 degree temp or whatever thermostat set temp range in the brooder?

Got any pics of the brooder to share? My main concerns (after temperature) is ventilation and lighting. I worry about the quality of air flow with a large number of birds in a tight space. I also worry about lighting not just from a fire safety perspective but also if I use cool led lighting I worry if it might not hurt their eyes (you know LED xmas lights save on electric costs and are fire safe but are like little laser pointers with the potential of causing new baby chicks to suffer vision damage or so I am told)

For that many chicks I would definitely do 2. I have mine made so I can divide it in half which was nice when I had 2 different ages in there. Now remember I am a 60 year old woman and had to build this myself so it is not taj mahal.

On the front I have 2 windows that I can open that are covered with hardware cloth. The small hole lattice that is under the brooder is what I put inside to divide the coop. That way there is still good air flow.

On the sides I have ventilation with windows under them. The windows have flip up doors to cover them without covering the ventilation windows.

This is the other side, ventilation, covered window with drop down door.

On the back I have 2 drop down doors for feeding and watering. You can see the cord for the heat plate.

The heat plate which you can see they use the top of it more then under it now. This is the large heat plate which is for 50 chicks but after 10 or so days they mostly use the top and sleep around the edge of it. I lower the back legs so it is at an angle so smaller chicks can go to the back for warmth and larger chicks go to the front. It works more like a hen would. They only go under when they need to get a quick warm up. I love the heat plate, no more heat lamps and fear of fires.

Edited to add: Since I was using metal roofing panels I covered the top of the brooder with hardware cloth before putting on the roof to keep out rodents. Also this was made completely from used wood and materials, except for hinges and locks.
Penny

Last edited:
One of my "alternate" Rhode Island Red cockerels just took Reserve American at the Pima County Fair today. He was not my best bird, but my best has been in the breeding pen and had too many broken wing feathers to take to the show. Not that many large fowl American class shown, but he DID beat out James Smith's White Rock cockerel, so I feel mighty pleased!

One of my "alternate" Rhode Island Red cockerels just took Reserve American at the Pima County Fair today. He was not my best bird, but my best has been in the breeding pen and had too many broken wing feathers to take to the show. Not that many large fowl American class shown, but he DID beat out James Smith's White Rock cockerel, so I feel mighty pleased!
What? No photos?
wink.png

Congratulations!!

Quote:

Great desertmarcy, That is great to read you are doing so well with the showing of your poultry but like Fred 's Hens asked where are the photos of your Rooster taking Reserve American
D.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom