The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

COLOR QUESTION PLEASE (from a novice)

My 6 week old RIRs are looking quite fine, too early to tell too much about the shape, but I see color variations among them, much like I do in the pics on here. I assume the preferred color is the darker the better, but no black scattered about the body. At this point, I don't see any of the lacing I see in some birds, but I do have a couple showing some black streaking scattered about. Does this go away? Okay, that's two questions; I could ask more.

by the way Fred, I was pleasantly fooled on the gender of several. I have been fooled a number of times by roos looking female, but a number of my RIRs showed a lot of comb at 4 weeks, but are now clearly pullets. I am very pleased with these birds at this point, pretty, healthy, and very friendly.

Scott, I've got 16 chicks, 3 weeks old, in the brooder right now from the same two pens from which yours came. I can see on about half them outstanding type. They look like little mini footballs turned laterally. I see most have dark, deep red horn on their beaks. I'm excited to watch them grow out.

I see the other half that do not show these great type features. NYREDS used to say that he could see good type when he took the chicks out of the brooder. I understand better what he meant by that. Nonetheless, we enjoy them, we feed them and grow them out. Again, all I'm really looking for are those few, those chosen few.

I laugh a bit at this shot. Notice all the footballs everywhere. That is the type I look for. Some of them have nice protruding front keels already. Again, we don't do any culling on these, of course, until much later on, but you cannot help but see some of them just have "it".

Yes!

You can tell the difference very early with them compared to Hatchery stock.

I wish those without them could pick one of yours up! I get the same effect from picking up the Dels I hatch from kathyinmos new line. It is amazing to feel that straight keel.

Oh, I suppose, it will be pretty close to 50/50. The reason I say that is that these chicks popped out of the shells like they were shot out of a gun. Many times when you have an "unbalanced hatch" there were factors at play.

Crowns? No, Polish or Silke's here.
lau.gif

Some of the combs are popping. I go by the light/white wing patch at two weeks. It's proven very accurate. Give these birds another 10 days and sexing will be dead on. But, When you're a breeder, you don't have this panic over the whole male/female thing like the pet chicken folk go through. We need one, maybe two good K's to put back over his dam. The rest will be mighty tasty.

Well I have 18 eggs that made it to lockdown today, 10 SC and 8 RC. I ended up with only one SC egg that was not fertile which shocked me since my Cock has a bad leg. All I can say is he is a determined "Man" and takes his job seriously. I am praying I get a decent SC cockerel for a replacement.

Penny

Oh, I suppose, it will be pretty close to 50/50.  The reason I say that is that these chicks popped out of the shells like they were shot out of a gun.  Many times when you have an "unbalanced hatch" there were factors at play.

Crowns?  No,  Polish or Silke's here.  :lau

Some of the combs are popping.  I go by the light/white wing patch at two weeks.  It's proven very accurate.  Give these birds another 10 days and sexing will be dead on.  But, When you're a breeder, you don't have this panic over the whole male/female thing like the pet chicken folk go through.  We need one, maybe two good K's to put back over his dam.  The rest will be mighty tasty.  

Well that just showed how much I have been flaring the last few days. Cognitive goes with it... or at least mouth doesn't say what I am thinking and I guess that goes for fingers too! :lol: I will look forward to that replacement over the dam from next batch of Nellies eggs!!! :D Guess it is time for me to get in bed..... if these people coming down the street will only shine for deer on the FIELD SIDE of the street and NOT IN MY WINDOWS to look behind my house!!!!! Geesh I hunt too but season is way over with!

Back
Top Bottom