The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

[/IMG]

Here are a few more pics of the same Rooster and one of the pullet. They are amidst a year old.

Oh wow NOW I see it all. Perfect things!!! Hope my breeding turns out well as this in future years.

here are the pictures

Nice!

here are the pictures

Don't worry on the color. In a couple of weeks you will be amazed with their color. The light colors will be gone and they will be just fine. Some of these RIR chicks are lighter when they hatch, some are extremely dark but the down doesn't really matter because if they are from decent stock, you will see all the dark mahogany color come right in. Keep up the good work my Irish friend. You an Darren are getting some nice reds started over there.
Jim

ok, thanks everyone. I was getting a bit worried about the white. I'm not too worried about their sex yet, just hoping for a couple of hens at this stage

ok, thanks everyone. I was getting a bit worried about the white. I'm not too worried about their sex yet, just hoping for a couple of hens at this stage
The first picture was taken at 2 weeks old. These were hatched 4/1 4/2 picture was 4/15. The last pic's, I just took. They they were 1 month yesterday. You can still see some really light down around the head area. Notice the nice dark horn coming in on the legs. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. lol

Quote:
I now have 2 different lines and after this springs hatching I noticed that one line the chicks are hatched out considerably darker than the other line, and as you said the down color doesn't really matter, it's how their feathering comes in and the white does get replaced with nice dark feathers. I am seeing that in the lines I have now. I hoping to get another line and it will be interesting to see what those chicks look like. I will not mix the lines and each will stay pure.

All the lines that I have are basically the same cmom. Even in the same batches of eggs, you will have some that are darker down and some get extremely light as they get a couple of weeks old but all the reds come in with the dark feathers as they get a month or more older then when the hit 11 - 12 weeks old they start molting again and then they really get nice. Then you just sit back and watch them get nicer and nicer.

Jim

These chicks are from a broody. They are Reese/Mohawk RIR chicks, and some RC RIW chicks.
WOW, I thought I was really going blind then I spied the white one in the doorway. lol Geez. the white against the light coming in the door really made it hard to see it. Like a Polar Bear in a snow storm. lol
Nice chicks.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom