The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

My wife says my priorities are not right because we are currently living in my 28X52 workshop with a 14X24 room above and building the house as I get the money. It has hot/cold running water, bathroom, washer and dryer, kitchen area and a gas stove. What more do we need in a home???
hu.gif

LOL I like this. Most of my childhood I never knew what inside plumbing was. BUT, I sure did know how to butcher a nice big fat hen for mother to fix for Sunday dinner on a wood stove. We had a pump in the kitchen to draw water in from the well. U:s kids all took turns bathing in moms rinse tub but let me tell you that we knew to get clean because mom checked behind the ears etc. She knew how to use the old wooden cloths fork very well. Dad worked all night shift in the coal mines then came home and worked the farm for most of the day. Mom did most of the teaching. lol

You take care my friend and tell your wife when you do get a nice place she will really appreciate it. Just kidding.
Jimmy

I love reading these old stories
smile.png

I wanted to do an experiment with older eggs I had collected and thought they were too old to ship so I had been putting the older eggs in my incubator. All total I have put around 150 eggs in it. Of the 150 eggs 19 turned out not to be fertile or had quit developing. It is hard to believe but they have been hatching. I didn't expect to have such a good hatch out of older eggs that were supposed to loose their viability as the days went by. I put some eggs in that were over 10 days old. I knew some would probably hatch but didn't expect so many to hatch.

I wanted to do an experiment with older eggs I had collected and thought they were too old to ship so I had been putting the older eggs in my incubator. All total I have put around 150 eggs in it. Of the 150 eggs 19 turned out not to be fertile or had quit developing. It is hard to believe but they have been hatching. I didn't expect to have such a good hatch out of older eggs that were supposed to loose their viability as the days went by. I put some eggs in that were over 10 days old. I knew some would probably hatch but didn't expect so many to hatch.

Hatch rate goes down after 15 days of storage. They still hatch though, just less of them as they get older.

Shipping stress is added to age so they start having lower hatch rates at less days. Some say to not ship eggs over 5 days old but it is the same thing, the still hatch but at a lower rate.

20 to 30 days old is the limit though. After 15 days they do better with cold storage according to at least one study. In cold storage, the eggs are switched to point end up.

I just popped some old egg into the incubator too. I hope the develop!

I remember quite a few years back first time using an incubator I forgot to turn the turner on. I was just excited I guess to get going and forgot it. After about the second week I thought gee every time that I looked into that thing that the eggs were always in the same place. lol Checked and the turner was unplugged. I plugged it in and hoped for the best. I had about an 80 percent hatch. I guess the chick gods were with me on that one. We've probably all done some silly things when changing with the times. Can't think that I'm the only one. ha, ha.

I remember quite a few years back first time using an incubator I forgot to turn the turner on. I was just excited I guess to get going and forgot it. After about the second week I thought gee every time that I looked into that thing that the eggs were always in the same place. lol Checked and the turner was unplugged. I plugged it in and hoped for the best. I had about an 80 percent hatch. I guess the chick gods were with me on that one. We've probably all done some silly things when changing with the times. Can't think that I'm the only one. ha, ha.

I have to be careful about this one--I got into trouble by saying it--turning the eggs is one of those things that helps with hatch rate. It is not a death sentence for egg not to be turned. Before the 1950s eggs were not always turned. There was a British study that showed a benefit to turning and now it has become "necessary".

It is important and will lower hatch rate something like 10 to 15%. Oddly, many will not invest in a good thermometer for making sure the temperature is correct, which is 100% fatal if it is wrong and is much worse than a turner not working.

I have to be careful about this one--I got into trouble by saying it--turning the eggs is one of those things that helps with hatch rate. It is not a death sentence for egg not to be turned. Before the 1950s eggs were not always turned. There was a British study that showed a benefit to turning and now it has become "necessary".

It is important and will lower hatch rate something like 10 to 15%. Oddly, many will not invest in a good thermometer for making sure the temperature is correct, which is 100% fatal if it is wrong and is much worse than a turner not working.
Hey Ron, you sound like me. I've said some things on here that really opened a bad can of worms but ;you know what? If you've done something and know the outcome and others haven't then you know the real answer. I just sit and grin to myself sometimes with some of the stuff that I read. Sort of like politics. ha, ha, ha.
What's that old saying? If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it. Makes a lot of sense to me. I try my best to keep it as close to what the old broody hen does. She seems to have done okay over the years. lol

Here is one more hatching story that some of the "internet experts" would dispute. About 4-5 years ago my brother and I had some hybrid bobwhite quail that we would hatch and sell chicks from locally. Well, my brother had a friend that asked us to save him a bunch of eggs to pickle so when we got done hatching all the orders we had we started putting them in the refrigerator. We saved eggs for about a month which was several hundred...then we kept them for 2-3 months. Well, the guy never came and got them...so my brother asked me what we should do with them and I said "let's put them in the incubator" and he said "they are to old". Long story short...we put them in the incubator and hatched about 95% of them. some of them were 3+ months old and had been in refrigerator for a couple months.

Matt

Here is one more hatching story that some of the "internet experts" would dispute. About 4-5 years ago my brother and I had some hybrid bobwhite quail that we would hatch and sell chicks from locally. Well, my brother had a friend that asked us to save him a bunch of eggs to pickle so when we got done hatching all the orders we had we started putting them in the refrigerator. We saved eggs for about a month which was several hundred...then we kept them for 2-3 months. Well, the guy never came and got them...so my brother asked me what we should do with them and I said "let's put them in the incubator" and he said "they are to old". Long story short...we put them in the incubator and hatched about 95% of them. some of them were 3+ months old and had been in refrigerator for a couple months.

Matt
Makes sense to me my friend. What do they do with semen when they ship it? Besides, when a hen steels her nest out in the early spring, she lays those eggs each day and they lay there sometimes in snow until she decides to set. I've seen that happen. Some say you can't wash eggs also but I have.
Jimmy

you all are giving me hope for my current eggs in the incubator. Somehow the incubator tripped the circuit breaker last night and I did not notice right away. Temps fell to close to 80 but maybe some of the eggs will still be ok. About 25% of the eggs are in lockdown so of course I'm not opening the door to pull any out to candle. Just going to wait for a few days and keep smelling the vent holes.

Back
Top Bottom