The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Not good photos but maybe you can see here.... he (Pretty sure) is only a few days over 2 weeks

Three more with the 0-3 day olds...

Don't worry too much about feathers at 2 weeks old. They will molt out at around 17 weeks and you will get the final look then. He is likely just feathering in too fast. Some lines do that.

Last edited:
As ronott1 has suggested...I don't pay any attention to the "chick" feathers. They are not representative of what they will have when they put on their juvenile feathers. There is always the possibility that you could see a fault at that age but I would still wait till much later to cull.

Matt

I purchased hatching eggs at a local poultry show this spring from a SCRIR breeder in Wilmington, NC. Chicks hatched well, and now are getting their feathers in. (sorry for the bad picture) I had no reason to doubt that they wouldn't be the quality of bird I was hoping for, but I sure felt relieved to see those dark feathers sprout. I know color isn't everything, but they have also been very healthy, active and sweet so far. Can't wait to embark on this adventure, I have 30 vigorous chicks ready to head out to the grow out coop. Only time will tell......

They appear to be pure bred chicks from what I can see in the pictures.

thumbsup.gif

Hi there,
First I want to say thanks for your time in the military. There were 5 boys in my family and all of us served. Thanks.
Now to chicken talk. If you go to my site, URL at bottom of my posts, there is two pages that may interest you. The egg production 2013 and the RIR Experience page. There is a lot of information on my site that may be of help to you in your decisions.
Like you, I do not show but wanted the birds that do conform to the SOP. These are some very nice birds and I truly do think that you would be satisfied with what you get. There are lots of pictures of the different lines that I have worked with that may help in your decision. It doesn't cost anymore to feed a good looking bird then it does a not so good looking one. lol
Hope this helps.
Jim

My husband and I were both also in the military, he was in the Air Force and me in Army, retired now. I bought my first birds several years ago at a poultry show in Lake City, Florida from a fellow, Brian Simmons who told me the birds were from the Reese line. Back then I didn't have the idea to show poultry either. I just liked the birds. A few years ago I decided to show some of them just to try it. I also bought more birds from Matt1616 at another Lake City poultry show. I have been breeding them every since and keeping my best and selling the rest. This past January I bought another cockerel from Matt. He is turning into a fine fellow. Now I do enjoy showing. You just never know. I just hatched some chicks from him and they are very nice chicks. Before I got my birds I did a lot of research.
Thank you both for your replies and also thanks to you for your service to our country. Jimmy, I had read alot of the information on your page already but the direction to the specific sections you mentioned were very helpful in pushing me toward the lines that appeal to my requirements. I can see that not all lines are created equal in all respects. All of the top lines have the traits that make them top quality SOP birds but it is the qualities that the judge at the shows cannot see that set them apart. Im not here to start an argument as I see this far too often on BYC causing some very knowledgeable members to leave thus losing a valuable resource for the rest of us. It all depends on what each individual is looking for...show strictly, show and production, or just production. All of these lines will win at a poultry show due to the amount of dedication and time you breeders have devoted to them. For that, many of us will always be in your debt. I just hope that I can learn from some of the best and continue one (or two) of these amazing lines in the near future. I will be back in the country late October and will be building my coop. One more step toward the flock that will grow to give hours of joy and years of eggs and meat for my family. My wife says my priorities are not right because we are currently living in my 28X52 workshop with a 14X24 room above and building the house as I get the money. It has hot/cold running water, bathroom, washer and dryer, kitchen area and a gas stove. What more do we need in a home???
hu.gif

Thank you both. Hopefully he is a good one then to replace the one I lost. Fred has his brother and bred one of his sons this year. We will see with time then.

Today I candled the eggs left in incubator. Many were clear thus prob not fertile. A few with blood rings or sloshy. But there were 9 more dark or couldn't see so put them back in but on their sides for another day since I thought I saw movement away from the light in one. Now it is rocking and has two sides of a triangle of the shell cracked. So I guess they are slow hatching! Took almost four days for all I have to hatch:rolleyes: One more I accidently cracked still had the yolksack. Dead.

So might be more to choose from. :)

My wife says my priorities are not right because we are currently living in my 28X52 workshop with a 14X24 room above and building the house as I get the money. It has hot/cold running water, bathroom, washer and dryer, kitchen area and a gas stove. What more do we need in a home???
hu.gif

LOL I like this. Most of my childhood I never knew what inside plumbing was. BUT, I sure did know how to butcher a nice big fat hen for mother to fix for Sunday dinner on a wood stove. We had a pump in the kitchen to draw water in from the well. U:s kids all took turns bathing in moms rinse tub but let me tell you that we knew to get clean because mom checked behind the ears etc. She knew how to use the old wooden cloths fork very well. Dad worked all night shift in the coal mines then came home and worked the farm for most of the day. Mom did most of the teaching. lol

You take care my friend and tell your wife when you do get a nice place she will really appreciate it. Just kidding.
Jimmy

Last edited:
My wife says my priorities are not right because we are currently living in my 28X52 workshop with a 14X24 room above and building the house as I get the money. It has hot/cold running water, bathroom, washer and dryer, kitchen area and a gas stove. What more do we need in a home???
hu.gif

LOL I like this. Most of my childhood I never knew what inside plumbing was. BUT, I sure did know how to butcher a nice big fat hen for mother to fix for Sunday dinner on a wood stove. We had a pump in the kitchen to draw water in from the well. U:s kids all took turns bathing in moms rinse tub but let me tell you that we knew to get clean because mom checked behind the ears etc. She knew how to use the old wooden cloths fork very well. Dad worked all night shift in the coal mines then came home and worked the farm for most of the day. Mom did most of the teaching. lol

You take care my friend and tell your wife when you do get a nice place she will really appreciate it. Just kidding.
Jimmy

Thank you ,,,, Now I now I wasn't the only family who grow up in a similar manner ..
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom