The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Is this borrowed from his web page? I do not recall see RI Whites.

Here is one of Frank Reese/Good Shepherd Ranch's  Rhode Island White hens.

397984_4189544892206_742060330_n.jpg

I sat my first RIR eggs for this season on 12/29/12. Took a look at them over the weekend and 12 of 12 developing. Right now I have 2 pens.
Pen #1 has a cockerel from last spring with a couple of 2 year old hens. Pen #2 has a cockerel from last spring with a 4 year old hen. The cockerels will be swapped soon.
I am really excited to get started on this year.
We lost power on Christmas Day and did not get it back for three days, so my lights were off. That has caused a little set back, but the three hens are still laying just not as well as before. I am hoping they will get going soon.
I also selected 4 pullets from last years hatch as breeders. They appear to be close to laying.

I don't plan to raise near as many this year as last. I am please with the progress of this line and don't think there is a need for me to hatch 90-100 to get the quality needed.

Since I won't be hatching near as many for myself, I will be able to help some others get started if anyone is interested.
Just shoot me a PM.

Ron

Last edited:
At my request Frank posted it on his Facebook wall. The background is the same that ALBC had at Crossroads, so am guessing this was taken by the ALBC. Frank and the Good Shepherd folks are working to restore several heritage breeds to their original purpose. Of course they want to make a profit and meat sells is a priority. However, they are breeding them to the Standard so they will have that excellent quality of meat.

Is this borrowed from his web page? I do not recall see RI Whites.

Quote:

I sat my first RIR eggs for this season on 12/29/12. Took a look at them over the weekend and 12 of 12 developing. Right now I have 2 pens.
Pen #1 has a cockerel from last spring with a couple of 2 year old hens. Pen #2 has a cockerel from last spring with a 4 year old hen. The cockerels will be swapped soon.
I am really excited to get started on this year.
We lost power on Christmas Day and did not get it back for three days, so my lights were off. That has caused a little set back, but the three hens are still laying just not as well as before. I am hoping they will get going soon.
I also selected 4 pullets from last years hatch as breeders. They appear to be close to laying.

I don't plan to raise near as many this year as last. I am please with the progress of this line and don't think there is a need for me to hatch 90-100 to get the quality needed.

Since I won't be hatching near as many for myself, I will be able to help some others get started if anyone is interested.
Just shoot me a PM.

Ron
Ron,

Bring some RIR (and others) eggs to the Meetup Seminar/Swap Saturday. Bet you cans ell them all! Plus I think a certain neighbor (202roosterlane) may want a dozen or so for a door prize/raffle!

Jim

Poultry Breeding And Genetics In The Small Flock Meetup Seminar - Swap meet. Benton, Arkansas. January 12, 2013 Noon. Full details in the link. Swap starts about 2PM.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/728987/poultry-breeding-and-genetics-in-the-small-flock-meetup-seminar-arkansas-january-12-2013

-PAXP-deijE.gif
bramwell_web.jpg

Last edited:
Now that is a nice Rhode Island White Hen (the Frank Reese bird).
She has real good size and type to her and she don't look like a Rose Comb White Leghorn.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom