The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Already got some SC RIR from Dick and its looking good after the first candle, and yes he is easy to deal with. Tried last year but his pen was broken up at the time, so this year I didn't wait.

Hi all! My daughter is in her third year of 4-H poultry, and has decided to start breeding RIRs. We're starting with a young lady from the Gary Underwood line. Here's a picture of her at the 2012 EIPA junior show. She's not got quite enough black on her wing feathers, but how does she look for a starting point? She's a little washed out from the flash. She started laying about 2 weeks after the show, so she's still pretty young in this picture.

Any advice for us as we start this endeavor?

Thanks,
Angela

Sent a BYC friend a dozen eggs last month. 8 out of 12 hatched. That's pretty good, really.
She sent me a couple of pictures.

Are they RIRs? They look like they could be. Are they LF or bantam. Dah, This is the Heritage Rhode Island Red thread. I'm old and getting senile. Don't remember as much as I did when I was young.

Last edited:
Hi all! My daughter is in her third year of 4-H poultry, and has decided to start breeding RIRs. We're starting with a young lady from the Gary Underwood line. Here's a picture of her at the 2012 EIPA junior show. She's not got quite enough black on her wing feathers, but how does she look for a starting point? She's a little washed out from the flash. She started laying about 2 weeks after the show, so she's still pretty young in this picture.

Any advice for us as we start this endeavor?

Thanks,
Angela
She looks like she has nice black tail feathers

Are they RIRs? They look like they could be. Are they LF or bantam. Dah, This is the Heritage Rhode Island Red thread. I'm old and getting senile. Don't remember as much as I did when I was young.

Yeah, the photographer is talented, but the white wash in front is a bit off. Anyhow, they'll feather in nicely. Here's some 7 weeks old versions. Although, there are a couple of generic flock birds in this picture.

This thread is AMAZING! I have ordered some RIR hatching eggs from Dick Horstman and while I don't plan to show, I just wanted some nice looking birds who will make nice layers. They will be here the first week of March! :) It's been nice to see some of Dick's Reds as well as learn what breeding and preserving a nice typey red is all about. I'm still not through with reading it, but have learned so much. Thanks for a great idea!

This thread is AMAZING! I have ordered some RIR hatching eggs from Dick Horstman and while I don't plan to show, I just wanted some nice looking birds who will make nice layers. They will be here the first week of March! :) It's been nice to see some of Dick's Reds as well as learn what breeding and preserving a nice typey red is all about. I'm still not through with reading it, but have learned so much. Thanks for a great idea!
You will be happy with those chicks!

Chris

You will be happy with those chicks!

Chris

Yes I like mine they look good, make good easy to get along with/docile utility chickens, started off laying big eggs never saw what I call pullet size eggs like I did from my BRs or NHs

They are dark red and look as good as anything else posted on here, I'd recommend them to anyone who wants a good start-up in Reds. I will be hatching from these in the future and would never be reluctant to go back to Horstman poultry for more. They're serving their purpose just good here.
smile.png

Jeff

and thank you once more Chris for the opportunity to own these fine critters,LOL

Thanks! I'm looking forward to watching them grow :) If I don't have a successful hatch though I might pick up a few Production reds from TSC for layers. Like I told Dick I just really would like to have some nice looking chickens and he also assured me that his RIR's are friendly and docile which is important to me also and that they are good layers. Keeping my fingers crossed I hatch at least 4-6!

Back
Top Bottom