The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

This is the color of her eyes.

Quote: CONGRADULATIONS ON YOUR BIG WIN. DOES IT NOT FEEL GOOD AND YOU CAN NOT WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN. LEARN HOW TO MAYBE PUT A BETTER FININSH ON HIM OR HE MAY JUST NEED FOUR TO SIX MORE WEEKS OF FEATHER GROTH TO LOOK LIKE MATTS MALE THREE POST BELOW YOURS. THAT GUY WAS RIPPED WITH FINISIHS. AS I SAW HIM MANY TIMES FROM FEB TO MARCH LAST YEAR.

WHAT LINE IS YOUR MALE FROM? LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY. HE COULD USE A LITTLE MORE DEPTH IN THE BODY FROM THE TOP LINE TO THE UNDERLINE OR BELLY BUT HE HAS MANY MANY GOOD THINGS GOING FOR HIM FLAT TOP LINE. I BET HIS SISTERS ARE FLAT ON TOP NO BUMPS NO ELEVEATED TAILS LIKE THE RED BANTAMS HAVE. AND HIS CHICKS SHOULD BE TRUE TO BREED AS WELL. LOOK FORWARD TO WHAT OR WHERE HE CAME FROM. BOB

Hey Matt, very nice looking boy but I can't quit laughing when I look at his tail.  ( Private joke everybody)  Oh my gosh. lol
Jim 

Lol... Jimmy, this bird is one of my crossed birds and a full brother to the male that your chicks are out of. Yours should look pretty similar to him.

Quote: CONGRADULATIONS ON YOUR BIG WIN. DOES IT NOT FEEL GOOD AND YOU CAN NOT WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN. LEARN HOW TO MAYBE PUT A BETTER FININSH ON HIM OR HE MAY JUST NEED FOUR TO SIX MORE WEEKS OF FEATHER GROTH TO LOOK LIKE MATTS MALE THREE POST BELOW YOURS. THAT GUY WAS RIPPED WITH FINISIHS. AS I SAW HIM MANY TIMES FROM FEB TO MARCH LAST YEAR.

WHAT LINE IS YOUR MALE FROM? LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY. HE COULD USE A LITTLE MORE DEPTH IN THE BODY FROM THE TOP LINE TO THE UNDERLINE OR BELLY BUT HE HAS MANY MANY GOOD THINGS GOING FOR HIM FLAT TOP LINE. I BET HIS SISTERS ARE FLAT ON TOP NO BUMPS NO ELEVEATED TAILS LIKE THE RED BANTAMS HAVE. AND HIS CHICKS SHOULD BE TRUE TO BREED AS WELL. LOOK FORWARD TO WHAT OR WHERE HE CAME FROM. BOB

Thanks Bob. I knew his condition was totally off. I'm hoping he will be through his molt before the actual show season starts in the fall.

I've got quite a few youngsters growing out from my hatches this year.

I got all my original RIR from Dick Horstman.

Okay all, I just got an answer back from Ryan. I guess he is a pretty busy young man with the shows. This is the response to the question about the bird pictured above. Hey there... I no longer have that RIR... He wasn't all that nice... Looked awesome in photo... But was small in person.

Jim
I also heard from Ryan and he simply said "I no longer have him". He never said that he culled him but I assume that he did. I would have put this male with a correct size hen and kept the genes alive. Especially since the upline parents are of normal size and weight. I am sure the genes were line bread Nelson but this one may have been in crowded conditions or competing for food and turned out small. I guess we will never know. What a shame. I don't think he knew the potential of the breedings you could make with him.

Mareks make them sick. I think she just hurt herself.

She may very well have hurt herself and I'm hopeful that is the case but I'm not sure if you have ever dealt with Mareks but rarely does the bird appear sick initially. The first symptoms are usually limping on one leg and eventually laying around but still eating and drinking and then finally laying permanently and death. Sometimes this process can be a few days and sometimes it takes a month. Occasionally birds also survive Mareks.
Hopefully Mareks is not the case but just giving you a possibility. Keep us posted.

She may very well have hurt herself and I'm hopeful that is the case but I'm not sure if you have ever dealt with Mareks but rarely does the bird appear sick initially. The first symptoms are usually limping on one leg and eventually laying around but still eating and drinking and then finally laying permanently and death. Sometimes this process can be a few days and sometimes it takes a month. Occasionally birds also survive Mareks.
Hopefully Mareks is not the case but just giving you a possibility. Keep us posted.

I must have gotten it mixed up then. If its Mareks I'll just let her live for as long as I can. She has always been an outsider since I got her with the flock. I feel bad for her, too. :(

Back
Top Bottom