The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

We've hit the single digits already. I've thought about the water line thing also heating lamps over fountains but with 8 different pens set up for all these different lines etc it just seemed a little much. lol The heat of summer seems harder on the birds but the cold of winter is harder on me. ha,ha.
Jim

Well, I thought I better get on here and say that me and my lovely reds are still well and kicking, (mostly chunks of ice) ha,ha. It has been very cold here for the past week or so and I am sick of breaking all the ice out of the water fountains. Geez, it's taking me twice as long to take care of the birds in the mornings. Carry a 5 gallon bucket of really hot water to pout over the fountains to thaw the ice then put just a little warm water back in for them to drink. It's not the cost of anything but the amount of work is getting me to thinking that I'm not going to keep so many birds next year. lol I just love all of these different lines so much that it will be soooo hard to figure out which I want to keep. Gotta love these red boys and girls.
Pictured below are my Matt's Reese birds. Just turning 8 months old and I guess they've gotten a little used to the northern weather pretty well. They are getting so nice. One thing for sure, The boys are getting some very nice tails on them. Seem's like they are going to have a pretty nice tail set Matt. Their bing cherry color against that white snow is a pretty contrast. They sure are holding on to their yellow/orange leg color. lol

Gorgeous birds. Don't seem to mind the snow one bit! I always get so envious coming in this thread.

Like your Reds Jim but not so sure about the snow and cold. I understand the age thing with carrying water however I did get some relief this week and had a water line buried back to the chickens about 200 feet. I will accept any donations for that cause WOW. LOL

Scott

Wow! 200 feet? That is a really long pipe, Scott. It must have been pricey, as well as quite a bit of work; but, I am sure the convenience of it must feel very nice.

Lual

Yes it was expensive but I think well worth it. I spent to many years carrying five gallon buckets of water back to the chickens in the winter time when the hose was frozen. It sure is nice just to turn the hydrant on and there is the water. Gotto love it.

Scott

Well, I thought I better get on here and say that me and my lovely reds are still well and kicking, (mostly chunks of ice) ha,ha. It has been very cold here for the past week or so and I am sick of breaking all the ice out of the water fountains. Geez, it's taking me twice as long to take care of the birds in the mornings. Carry a 5 gallon bucket of really hot water to pout over the fountains to thaw the ice then put just a little warm water back in for them to drink. It's not the cost of anything but the amount of work is getting me to thinking that I'm not going to keep so many birds next year. lol I just love all of these different lines so much that it will be soooo hard to figure out which I want to keep. Gotta love these red boys and girls. Pictured below are my Matt's Reese birds. Just turning 8 months old and I guess they've gotten a little used to the northern weather pretty well. They are getting so nice. One thing for sure, The boys are getting some very nice tails on them. Seem's like they are going to have a pretty nice tail set Matt. Their bing cherry color against that white snow is a pretty contrast. They sure are holding on to their yellow/orange leg color. lol
I am quite taken with the beauty of your birds, Jimmyjay! Also they shine with good health and care..lovely!! I used to be jealous of people who lived in the areas where it snowed, until I took a trip to Lake Tahoe at the height of the winter with 8 show dogs with long hair. Well, to put it simply, it was a nightmare which I will never forget...and cured my envy. We get plenty of rain which goes on & on & on & not fun to have everything dripping wet. I keep every animal locked up; if not, we end up with mud dogs, and mud chickens. Black adobe makes ugly, sticky mud. Lual

Last edited:
I am quite taken with the beauty of your birds, Jimmyjay! Also they shine with good health and care..lovely!!

I used to be jealous of people who lived in the areas where it snowed, until I took a trip to Lake Tahoe at the height of the winter with 8 show dogs with long hair. Well, to put it simply, it was a nightmare which I will never forget...and cured my envy. We get plenty of rain which goes on & on & on & not fun to have everything dripping wet. I keep every animal locked up; if not, we end up with mud dogs, and mud chickens. Black adobe makes ugly, sticky mud.

Lual
Lual,
Thanks so much for the nice compliment. They really do shine. I was about 35 - 40 feet away using a zoom to get the pictures. You would understand better then some that they would show more sheen etc if I was closer. lol Just something about this deep red color.
As for the snow and cold, up until a couple of years ago I just couldn't wait for the winters but anymore I don't like it as well. I used to go out every day and either ride my 2 horses for an hour each unless it was a cold rain then I would just stand in the rain and lunge them to keep them in shape for running at the indoor winter shows. Then back in the stall with blankets and heat lights on them. lol Geez, what we do sometimes for our animals.

BGMatt, I've had so many different kind of chickens over the years, but once I started with these reds they just took over. I have 35 - 40 layers of different breeds but as they die off there will only be reds on my property until I'm to old to take care of them. lol

Those are my birds that were at the VPBA show.The single comb with the ribbon on his coop was BV,BB,Champion American,Champion Large Fowl and Grand Champion of Show.I had a rose comb cockerel that was BV,RB.Also another single comb cockerel that was RV and rose comb pullet RV.
Well you just had a pretty good day there Bobby. Congrats

Well, I thought I better get on here and say that me and my lovely reds are still well and kicking, (mostly chunks of ice) ha,ha. It has been very cold here for the past week or so and I am sick of breaking all the ice out of the water fountains. Geez, it's taking me twice as long to take care of the birds in the mornings. Carry a 5 gallon bucket of really hot water to pout over the fountains to thaw the ice then put just a little warm water back in for them to drink. It's not the cost of anything but the amount of work is getting me to thinking that I'm not going to keep so many birds next year. lol I just love all of these different lines so much that it will be soooo hard to figure out which I want to keep. Gotta love these red boys and girls.
Pictured below are my Matt's Reese birds. Just turning 8 months old and I guess they've gotten a little used to the northern weather pretty well. They are getting so nice. One thing for sure, The boys are getting some very nice tails on them. Seem's like they are going to have a pretty nice tail set Matt. Their bing cherry color against that white snow is a pretty contrast. They sure are holding on to their yellow/orange leg color. lol

I hope my birds that are off springs of birds I got from Matt look as beautiful as your...
love.gif

Thanks Jim,It was an exciting day for me.That was my first Grand Champion of Show.It usually goes to a bantam.So yes, it was a great day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom