The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

We are selling our Adrian Rademacher line of single comb RIRs. We have one rooster, one hen and 6 pullets if there is anyone in South Carolina or Georgia interested as we do not ship.

The term heritage is of recent origin. It was promoted as a way of drawing attention to true bred birds of breeds that were once prominent. Sadly, most examples of these breeds today, as they are mass produced by the hatcheries, are very sad examples of what these wonderful birds once were. In some cases, there is actually a risk that true bred examples might disappear altogether.

A "heritage" bird is defined differently by different groups for their own reasons. What you can take to the bank is that in this thread, when we refer to "Heritage" Rhode Island Reds we are not referring to the versions sold by the hatcheries and feedstores. Those birds may be sold under that name, but do NOT represent the breed. The breed, like other heritage breeds, are described by the American Poultry Association and conform to the Standard of Perfection written for the breed.

Here are two photos. You tell me. Which is the true Rhode Island Red?

Last edited:
Hi guys, I know this has probably already been answered but I can't find it.
What the difference between Heritage RIR's and RIR's ( either quality or hatchery grade )??
In fact what is heritage any thing???!?!
Heritage is old time things like me and Fred. ha,ha,ha Fred's explanation was better then mine. lol

You're right Jim.
big_smile.png

I like the idea of the term Heritage, because these heirloom birds are indeed a precious heritage from our American history, in the case of the Rhode Island Reds. I dislike the confusion, sadly.

You're right Jim.  :D

I like the idea of the term Heritage, because these heirloom birds are indeed a precious heritage from our American history, in the case of the Rhode Island Reds.  I dislike the confusion, sadly. 

Heritage works, the term should be Standard bred but then people assume they're just show birds that can't do their job. Still searching for a simple two sentence or less explanation of Heritage that one can use to differentiate and cut the confusion.

I am new to all this. To me if heritage if used by a hatchery, it is changed to production Rhode island red in my mind, If used by a breeder then my mind links it to APA standards. I do see one hatchery that also has show quality for 4-H ect and says they are from a breeder. I have some 3 month olds of both origins and what a difference. I wish more of the HRIR eggs had hatched, then I would not have the hatchery birds.

Back
Top Bottom