The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

goodpost.gif
Hi Scott,
Was thinking about you last night. Hope all is well.
Jim

Are the " Rhode Island reds from cackle hatchery a true show quality ?
I've never had any chicks from there but I would almost bet that the only true RIR's that you can get will have to come from a breeder and not a hatchery. I imagine that you could sell anything as show quality. The question is, if you go to a show with hatchery stock will you stand a chance of competing with the real red birds? I hardly think so. If you are going to county fairs etc., you would probably be just fine.
Jim

Truthfully I'm not planning to show myself but my kids are interested, I myself want to collect a few strains to work with and fine tune what I want .

Truthfully I'm not planning to show myself but my kids are interested, I myself want to collect a few strains to work with and fine tune what I want .

I'm trying to dabble in breeding without having to buy a bunch of birds from one breeder.
I love to see every strain but some more than others if that makes sense.

I'm trying to dabble in breeding without having to buy a bunch of birds from one breeder.
I love to see every strain but some more than others if that makes sense.

Crossing different strains will bring out faults so if showing is a goal of your kids, you do not want to cross breed strains.

Many experts have said this over the years.

Is the Mohawk not a cross cluster of strains ?
I would say that all the lines have been crossed in the beginning to produce what we have today but the folks that worked with them way back spent a lot of time trying to correct the faults/flaws that they came up with. If your kids are wanting to show I would get the best I can. If you are wanting to mix strains or breeds then the hatchery birds are the way you should go. Just my thoughts.

Is the Mohawk not a cross cluster of strains ?
If the Mohawk lines are close they may be ok. Are you only talking about Mohawk? Not crossing Mohawk with Kittle? or Reese? or etc.?

They may share common genes somewhere and the chickens may do well but Bob Blosl and others with lots of experience say it will not improve them for SOP Standards. Many have done this in the past and now they not longer have Reds.

Have fun but be careful.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom