The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I would say that all the lines have been crossed in the beginning to produce what we have today but the folks that worked with them way back spent a lot of time trying to correct the faults/flaws that they came up with. If your kids are wanting to show I would get the best I can. If you are wanting to mix strains or breeds then the hatchery birds are the way you should go. Just my thoughts. 

In your opinion which would you call the best you can get and where do I find them?

If the Mohawk lines are close they may be ok. Are you only talking about Mohawk? Not crossing Mohawk with Kittle? or Reese? or etc.?

They may share common genes somewhere and the chickens may do well but Bob Blosl and others with lots of experience say it will not improve them for SOP Standards. Many have done this in the past and now they not longer have Reds.

Have fun but be careful.

:thumbsup

I recently bought a few Mohawk and Mohawk / Flanagan cross. There only a few weeks old and look the same , but time will tell

In your opinion which would you call the best you can get and where do I find them?
I have 3 different lines of the old RIR's including both varieties of the Underwood (SC and RC). Each line has the strong points and weak points. I will give you my outlook on my birds.
First the Underwood's and Nelson are quicker to come into POL if you are looking for quicker egg production either of these will fit the bill. The Nelson's are the puppy dogs of my lines. They both are decent layers but I would say my Nelson's are a little better for consistency. My RC seem to be a little better then the SC in the Underwood line. The RC seems to be a little larger bird then the SC. Maybe that is just me though.
Now I will go into my Reese/Mohawk birds that I got from Matt1616. I had the Reese birds a couple of years ago from another breeder and honestly, there is no comparison. These birds took a little longer to reach maturity and the girls were around 10 - 11 months old but I can tell you that their laying ability is as good as any bird that I've ever had. They are some of the best birds I've ever owned. I've told a few that these birds are in a class of their own. The cock birds have really nice long, wide level backs, really nice combs, great color, gorgeous horn down the front of the legs and feet. Just a very nice all around bird. If you are in a colder climate, their combs will freeze.
As for where to get these lines, a lot of folks on here got birds from Gary Underwood and Matt last year. If you contact some of them they may put you on their list for nest year birds. I've read where a lot of them are done hatching for this year and have the breeders split up already. I'm not doing much with mine this year because of health reasons.
Truthfully, if you can get your hands on any of these lines I think you would be very very well satisfied. Bob Blosl told me one time that my birds from Matt may not do as well up here in the cold northern weather but mine did just fine and I'm really glad that I got them from Matt. With you being down in the southern states, you should be able to find someone down that way to maybe pick up a nice trio from someone. It doesn't take long to get a good start from a trio or quad of any of these birds.
Hope this helps you
Jim

Truthfully I'm not planning to show myself but my kids are interested, I myself want to collect a few strains to work with and fine tune what I want .

If it were me, I'd probably be sure the kids are seriously committed to the hobby. If they are, then follow the advice given by every seasoned breeder I've ever met, ever talked to, or have ever heard speak. They all say the same thing and I'll repeat it here. Buy a trio or quad of the very best birds you can buy. Or, buy a box of 9 or 10 chicks of the very best birds you can buy.

It will take all kinds of skill to breed great stock to be truly "show quality". That's a weird term. When you get started, you'll get some birds and there'll be generations of work to do, even if you start with the very best. It takes alot of work and there's an endless amount of learning to be done. The work is never done.

But if you start with hatchery stock? No. There may not be enough years in a person's life to "fix" hatchery stock and may never be possible if the genes just aren't there. There are a dozen or more folks with really great birds, that I know about, and even more that I don't know about. Get the best. Or just get hatchery stuff and enjoy them for what they are. Fun, egg giving, curious and interesting creatures. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I recently bought a few Mohawk and Mohawk / Flanagan cross. There only a few weeks old and look the same , but time will tell
Seems like you got something there to work with. I would be patient, raise these up and see what you have. You may be 100% satisfied. If not, keep your girls for eggs and start over again in the spring. As Bob always said, patience, patience, patience. LOL

Y
I have 3 different lines of the old RIR's including both varieties of the Underwood (SC and RC). Each line has the strong points and weak points. I will give you my outlook on my birds.
First the Underwood's and Nelson are quicker to come into POL if you are looking for quicker egg production either of these will fit the bill. The Nelson's are the puppy dogs of my lines. They both are decent layers but I would say my Nelson's are a little better for consistency.  My RC seem to be a little better then the SC in the Underwood line. The RC seems to be a little larger bird then the SC. Maybe that is just me though. 
Now I will go into my Reese/Mohawk birds that I got from Matt1616.  I had the Reese birds a couple of years ago from another breeder and honestly, there is no comparison. These birds took a little longer to reach maturity and the girls were around 10 - 11 months old but I can tell you that their laying ability is as good as any bird that I've ever had. They are some of the best birds I've ever owned. I've told a few that these birds are in a class of their own. The cock birds have really nice long, wide level backs, really nice combs, great color, gorgeous horn down the front of the legs and feet. Just a very nice all around bird. If you are in a colder climate, their combs will freeze.
As for where to get these lines, a lot of folks on here got birds from Gary Underwood and Matt last year. If you contact some of them they may put you on their list for nest year birds. I've read where a lot of them are done hatching for this year and have the breeders split up already. I'm not doing much with mine this year because of health reasons. 
Truthfully, if you can get your hands on any of these lines I think you would be very very well satisfied. Bob Blosl told me one time that my birds from Matt may not do as well up here in the cold northern weather but mine did just fine and I'm really glad that I got them from Matt. With you being down in the southern states, you should be able to find someone down that way to maybe pick up a nice trio from someone. It doesn't take long to get a good start from a trio or quad of any of these birds.
Hope this helps you
Jim  

Yes sir it helps a lot.
I'm not real chicken wise and appreciate all and any advice.
I just want a quality red and want to be able to provide the same to folks who show interest around here.
I purchased the birds I have from Mr. McMillian near by and am greatful to him but no one else has surfaced within driving distance.
I'd love to purchase birds from Mr. Underwood but 20 is way more than I need at the moment due to lack of room

I have read several posts from Mr Blosl and
Y
Yes sir it helps a lot.
I'm not real chicken wise and appreciate all and any advice.
I just want a quality red and want to be able to provide the same to folks who show interest around here.
I purchased the birds I have from Mr. McMillian near by and am greatful to him but no one else has surfaced within driving distance.
I'd love to purchase birds from Mr. Underwood but 20 is way more than I need at the moment due to lack of room
am truly sorry I never had the chance to know him

If it were me, I'd probably be sure the kids are seriously committed to the hobby.  If they are, then follow the advice given by every seasoned breeder I've ever met, ever talked to, or have ever heard speak.  They all say the same thing and I'll repeat it here.  Buy a trio or quad of the very best birds you can buy.  Or, buy a box of 9 or 10 chicks of the very best birds you can buy.  

It will take all kinds of skill to breed great stock to be truly "show quality".  That's a weird term.  When you get started, you'll get some birds and there'll be generations of work to do, even if you start with the very best.  It takes alot of work and there's an endless amount of learning to be done.  The work is never done.

But if you start with hatchery stock?  No.  There may not be enough years in a person's life to "fix" hatchery stock and may never be possible if the genes just aren't there.  There are a dozen or more folks with really great birds, that I know about, and even more that I don't know about.  Get the best.  Or just get hatchery stuff and enjoy them for what they are.  Fun, egg giving, curious and interesting creatures.   Best of luck to you.

Very Good Advice. It depends on what you really want out of the experience and how much time you have to dedicate to it. Though my health is not the best it does give me something to focus on besides the fact (so hard to accept) that I can not hold down a job. I MUST get up every morning to go feed the Chickens... several times a day to get the eggs before the last in the box breaks an earlier lain one AND keep tabs on who is laying so I can get the best to Fred to hatch for me. Could I physically do it and financially afford it I'd get what I need to hatch, brood and raise them here on my property and give away stock to others who would keep them going. But I still need the expertise and skill so am beginning small. Someday maybe I will be good at it and can sell the heritage hatching eggs. For now I will work on getting my flock to its best and eat what isn't.

I or we have the time and patients meaning my wife and I, I'm not the 9 to 5 type so I work in the oilfield and my wife is a lot of help as long as she gets to spoil the chicks.
All in all it's just for fun and really just a project.

Back
Top Bottom