The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I purchased little Sarafina as a Heritage Mahogany RIR
and I am just trying to make sure she is.
Because someone thought today that my twinnies, Kayce & Sarah we're in fact the Heritage RIR

Sarafina

Kayce & Sarah

Jimmy as for me I will simply work on figuring out how to get any aspect of the line I have closer to the SOP if I think it falls a bit off in my flock. Continue to keep it as close if not closer to the Standard. ;)

Each line seems to have its own faults. Nothing wrong IMHO in trying to bring them in compliance. ;) It is an endeavor for the betterment of the Chickens AND our livestock/food.

Only time will tell if it is possible to correct them. Maybe more than you and I have left on Earth! :p

My experience is with two lines and maybe some insights with a third.

Yes, Jim, you are right. They are quite different, measuring 10 quick things, type, maturity rates, laying, temperament, tail set, breast protrusion (shall we say), horn on legs, color, feather, and head/comb.

To me? Each represents a heritage of breeding to Standard, as those venerable breeders interpreted the Standard. All have been shown with many, many "wins" when judged in meaningful shows.

So? What then? What are we to make of this?

This is what makes this hobby/art/addiction/fancy so dog gone interesting. There are virtues here or there where one line may excel a bit. Do we end up with "favorites"? Perhaps. That too is quite alright by me. They all will continue to need care and work by those who love the Reds. But, most of all, enjoy them as the fabulous birds they are.

My two cents, I think the part of Fred's comments in bold basically sums it up. Each hand (or eye) that has touched the birds has influenced the succeeding generations. A line will only stay "true" when bred by the originator or one trained (as to that eye) or mentored by the originator.

The SOP is the blueprint but each architect can, by selection of slightly different materials, influence or put his mark on the final creation.

Last edited:
Just so I'm clear here. When I said can these differences be fixed, I'm not saying that one is right and one is wrong. Please, don't think I'm talking down on any of these lines. I really do love all my reds. Just wondering what causes so much difference when they are all to be pure reds. lol

"Pure" is often over-emphasized as something singularly preferable. Of course, all things being equal, the purer they are the easier they are to work with, the more predictable, but chickens are extremely variable. I could take chicks from you, from one of your lines, and, introducing no new blood, have birds that differ from yours significantly in 5 to 10 seasons. The RIR gene pool is a huge gene pool in comparison to, say, the Dorking gene pool. I would take the variance you are witnessing--apparently all disciplined within the scope of their own strain--as a sign of vital biodiversity within the breed and a genetic acknowledgment that different breeders reading the same info interpret said info differently, and the effects of that different interpretation over a time-lapse of real-time selection leads to different strains with breed-representative variations. In short, one could read it as a good thing that they're not all identical.

From the point of view of one rather intimately acquainted with Don Nelson's stock, you have some good birds.

Last edited:
Jim, this is just my take. FWIW.

The great old breeders who made, tweaked, preserved, improved, showed, cared for, and handed down these birds were unique individuals. Yes, they read the same standard you and I still read, but each was an individual artist at work.

In short, they're different because of the different inner vision and work of great folks who came before us. They were different folks who took the birds to a place they wanted.

"Pure" is often over-emphasized as something singularly preferable. Of course, all things being equal, the purer they are the easier they are to work with, the more predictable, but chickens are extremely variable. I could take chicks from you, from one of your lines, and, introducing no new blood, have birds that differ from yours significantly in 5 to 10 seasons. The RIR gene pool is a huge gene pool in comparison to, say, the Dorking gene pool. I would take the variance you are witnessing--apparently all disciplined within the scope of their own strain--as a sign of vital biodiversity within the breed and a genetic acknowledgment that different breeders reading the same info interpret said info differently, and the effects of that different interpretation over a time-lapse of real-time selection leads to different strains with breed-representative variations. In short, one could red it as a good thing that they're not all identical.

From the point of one rather intimately acquainted with Don Nelson's stock, you have some good birds.

Or, what Joseph said.
big_smile.png

Fred, two more days and I stop turning. I hope I have done things right and this incubator is accurate in heating. :D If it is I will work it to death next breeding season to build OUR stock!

I just hatched 8 for 8 today. Not every day is this good, but I'm still getting better at it. This hobby/interest is a life long learning deal. That's part of what makes it both challenging and rewarding.

BTW, the game ended in a tie. Reds 4 Rocks 4

There's another game in two weeks. But the Reds will win in a shut out as the Rocks have already forfeited the game.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom