The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Here's the K's wing from the project line. Again, small steps forward, moving in the right direction.

This old Kittle foundation line has a long way to go to match up favorably with the birds we have the Don Nelson foundation, but they're enjoyable birds to continue to work on. We've been focusing the last 4 years on type, and type alone. This year, we pushed for better tails and feathering. In the future, we understand the need for improved under color, but one step at a time.
Thanks to Ken Weaver for helping with the modeling.
smile.png

This is the best pullet, I feel, from this year's bunch of old Kittle line birds. Wish I hadn't blocked out her pretty legs with that feeder. Again, incremental progress, not a finish product, but I like the improvement.

Had a question. I'm getting a trio of RC Underwoods. If I get Underwood SC and breed the two together would I get a mix? Knowing that the RC is the dominate gene.

One of the two pullets you are getting is out of pen 4. That pen had 2 hens and one was a SC. So yes it is likely you could end up with some SC, especially since sires and dam's of all three you are getting are directly from Gary the year he bred in some SC. He does that every three years.

I am trying to do my pullet selections now. Next year I want to breed for markings, my original stock was gotten last year from someone who bred more for utility than for show and their markings are very bad. I am going to get a cockerel from a man who breeds the same line for show in a couple of weeks, so hopefully he will improve next years chicks. From what I understand, most of the colour comes from the father so I am hoping it will improve a good bit next year. i will be concentrating on markings for the next few years so I want to go just on type this year so that I won't lose to much while breeding for markings. I have culled down on birds with fairly obvious faults and I have 10 left of reasonable type I think. Three of them are still a bit young to choose from. Here are my seven

Sorry about some of the bad pictures. It was their first time in a show pen and they were a bit jumpy. Has anyone got any advice on what ones to keep. I am planning on keeping 3 of these.

Last edited:
I don't agree that the sire hold quite so much responsibility. The old Red breeders I've mentored under preach the "call of the hen". I simply cannot afford to ignore the females. Also, if the females have black hackles, that is a cull. Thus, how the females are flawed is soberingly important. Once that shows up in the males, you're in duck soup.

Like you, I've been pushing an old utility focused line, back toward the Standard, the ideal Red, here for the States. It's been very hard work and the progress slow. But, it is enjoyable and fun work, if one loves the birds.

I understand that in Ireland, you must work with what is available to you. I grasp the difficult challenge facing you. Your birds look better to me than most I've seen on various Ireland website where supposed Reds breeders show their wares. Yours look much, much better. You're right to be proud to work with them.

However, as you know well, your females are not quite perky in these photos. They looked slumped over and convex rounding is showing on the back line. I prefer to see a flat back, long backed female and one who hold her tail at 10 degrees above horizontal. Dumpy tails are highly unattractive on a Red.

Stay at. We'll look forward to seeing you crown prince when he arrives. Hopefully, he'll bring something good to your program. In for the bit, in for the whole. It's a long journey and won't happen in just a year or two, but the journey itself is worthwhile and enjoyable.

"The Call of the Hen" by Walter Hogan, The Petaluma Daily Courier. I have the book and have read it. It was referred to me by Bob Blosl. Great read. My copy of the book is a copy and a lot of the pictures/illustrations are dark and just hard to see but the information is invaluable..

Back
Top Bottom