The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Had one this summer ate a plastic chicken egg and didn't know it until I had killed it and the egg fell out and I said I put him out of his misery because he wasn't going to make it with that egg.

Super excited here. I just picked up my new RIR hen thanks to @SallyinIndiana . It's a Fogle line SC. Picking up it's mate tomorrow from a different BYC'er. It's only a pair, but it's a start! In my area, SOP bred RIR are a rarity it seems.

Super excited here. I just picked up my new RIR hen thanks to @SallyinIndiana . It's a Fogle line SC. Picking up it's mate tomorrow from a different BYC'er. It's only a pair, but it's a start! In my area, SOP bred RIR are a rarity it seems.
thumbsup.gif

I just picked up 10 chicks myself. These are from the Mohawk line. Excited to see how they turn out now. The eyes are totally different in them and my production rir's. I just got them yesterday evening and I have raised several of the productions from chicks and these temperaments seem totally different than the production rir. Going to be fun seeing how they turn out.

Congrats on yours!

I just picked up 10 chicks myself. These are from the Mohawk line. Excited to see how they turn out now. The eyes are totally different in them and my production rir's. I just got them yesterday evening and I have raised several of the productions from chicks and these temperaments seem totally different than the production rir. Going to be fun seeing how they turn out.

Congrats on yours!
Way calmer than production reds. The roosters I ever had where even almost to wimpy when in with breeds like leghorns and Delawares. They still will have there picking order of course but the that evil mean streak that a lot of production reds will have.

Quote:
I have had Production Reds too many years ago. Now I have the Reese/Mohawk line. When people come over and see my birds they are surprised for one how dark they are and ask me what breed they are and I hell them Heritage Rhode Island Reds. Most people don't care about lines just eggs, but my Reese birds are usually my best layers.

I have had Production Reds too many years ago. Now I have the Reese/Mohawk line. When people come over and see my birds they are surprised for one how dark they are and ask me what breed they are and I hell them Heritage Rhode Island Reds. Most people don't care about lines just eggs, but my Reese birds are usually my best layers.
They did that to me all the time. They would ask what breeds I had and they would say I have heritage reds too. I would say u sure they are heritage or production reds. They would say heritage. Then they come over and see mine (Rons Line) and would say I guess I dont. Then they would buy me out. HAHAHAHAHa

Way calmer than production reds. The roosters I ever had where even almost to wimpy when in with breeds like leghorns and Delawares. They still will have there picking order of course but the that evil mean streak that a lot of production reds will have.
yeah I've noticed that and I can reach in and pick one up and they just sit on my hand and then dive off. I have em from age 1 week, 2 week, 3 week to a month in the same pen. NO WAY I'd been able to put that age group together with the production ones. They'd killed em! Yeah I know what you mean about the evil mean streak. I got some hens I am going to put in a soup pot once I keep watching them and figure out which ones are being so mean to the pullets. All those are productions but the older hens are mega mean to the pullets. Just keeping those for eggs for now. Might wind up getting rid of a bunch of them but raised them from babies so it's a little hard but I know I can do it. Just gotta get my head on straight about it. ;-)

I'm thinking he told me he got these from Chris but I forgot his last name so I sent him a pm to ask him to make sure. But I know they are Mohawk line. Yeah I saw his breeding pair and they are very very dark. Almost looked black in the shade.

Last edited:
Your welcome.

Another thought for you is to print the information off and then put them in a binder (like the old trapper keeper) and keep it out in the poultry house. That way you will have the information out in the poultry house when you need it..

Chris
GOOD IDEA! Going to do this so I can learn what I'm suppose to be looking for. Thank you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom