The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Sweet thought Thanks. It looks like I lost most of my remaining grow outs but all of my breeders are fine.
It wasn't my dogs btw... I took one of mine to be spayed and had none of my own lgd dogs with the poultry. Stupid stupid stupid.
thumbsup.gif
at least you have something to work with.

Ugh... You know that sickening feeling when you're walking to the barn and find eggshells on the way. And the lgd's you moved "away" from the barn last weekend were going crazy all night?

Haven't surveyed all the damage yet, still picking up chicken bodies/parts.

I knew better! But needed to get one of the lgd's spayed so moved dogs around. NEVER take good lgd's for granted. I knew better! Dangit!

Keep us informed, I worry about mine at night too, my LGD is getting old and does fall down on the job but hope my coops are varmint proof.

I actually have too many lgd right now so there was no excuse for not having one with the poultry. We sold one of the sheep flocks and have 5 Maremma right now and i only need 3. So... I decided to place 2 and was getting them fixed.
Just stupid on my part when I took them to the vet to not put another dog with the poultry. That's what happens when you get lax. And I know it was stray dogs and not coyotes or Fox because they left a terrible mess. Coyotes and Fox eat everything. I had body parts left behind.

I actually have too many lgd right now so there was no excuse for not having one with the poultry. We sold one of the sheep flocks and have 5 Maremma right now and i only need 3. So... I decided to place 2 and was getting them fixed.
Just stupid on my part when I took them to the vet to not put another dog with the poultry. That's what happens when you get lax. And I know it was stray dogs and not coyotes or Fox because they left a terrible mess. Coyotes and Fox eat everything. I had body parts left behind.
hit.gif

My area doesnt' have "stray" dogs it is neighbors who don't feed their dogs and they ramble, did have a coyote trotting up the drive at 3:00 in the morning and my Dobe sailed off the bed she was looking out the window and we put it in high gear, but we keep a watch out things happen around this hilltop at night. Just try to keep everything checked and tightened down to keep the coons and possums out. Hang in there we're all rooting for ya.

I am sorry to hear about the loss!

I thought something had gotten some of mine but it was only molting! I need a very strong wind to blow those feathers to Oregon.....

Last edited:
oh man that is horrible! I am so sorry for your loss. :( I can only imagine how sickening that is.
sad.png
I know how sickening it is to lose a lot of ducks in one night and it was pet ones to. Crying picking up the bodies. I am almost positive I know what mine was though, the neighbor moved in across the road with not one but TWO labs. :( I never said nothing until they got into my goldfish pond and I found tracks to prove it. Told him he didn't wanna have to buy me more fish AND a pond liner so he better keep em home. He would let them roam at night. Anyway it was horrible.

oh man that is horrible! I am so sorry for your loss. :( I can only imagine how sickening that is.
sad.png
I know how sickening it is to lose a lot of ducks in one night and it was pet ones to. Crying picking up the bodies. I am almost positive I know what mine was though, the neighbor moved in across the road with not one but TWO labs. :( I never said nothing until they got into my goldfish pond and I found tracks to prove it. Told him he didn't wanna have to buy me more fish AND a pond liner so he better keep em home. He would let them roam at night. Anyway it was horrible.

I don't know where the post is but a few years ago on BYC a member was having trouble with a neighbors dog coming on to her property and killing her chickens. She went to the neighbor and asked him to please keep his dog off of her property and of course he said it wasn't his dog on her property killing her birds. She finally got a paintball gun and some paint balls and the next time the dog was on her property she shot the dog with the paint balls.

Wow what a mellow lady I would have handed him the dog back to see if he would identify the dog ........
yuckyuck.gif
Hahaha. If it was me, whom ever dog it was would have never seen it again. Sorry, but I will protect me chickens pretty much with my life. I have too much time and money in them for anything to kill them. If somebody don't have the respect for my chickens, which are fenced and on my land, for them to keep there dogs away, I won't any respect to put it to an end. Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom