The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

My favorite boy looking too proud of himself
cool.png
He was getting along just fine in a pen with his brother and eight girls until they all hit 14 months, then this guy decided he was done sharing and had his poor brother hiding in the darkest corner of the coop wedged behind an eggbox ALL beat up. Does anyone know how to run multiple roosters successfully?

I don't know where the post is but a few years ago on BYC a member was having trouble with a neighbors dog coming on to her property and killing her chickens. She went to the neighbor and asked him to please keep his dog off of her property and of course he said it wasn't his dog on her property killing her birds. She finally got a paintball gun and some paint balls and the next time the dog was on her property she shot the dog with the paint balls.
GOOD for her!!!!
thumbsup.gif

yuckyuck.gif
Hahaha. If it was me, whom ever dog it was would have never seen it again. Sorry, but I will protect me chickens pretty much with my life. I have too much time and money in them for anything to kill them. If somebody don't have the respect for my chickens, which are fenced and on my land, for them to keep there dogs away, I won't any respect to put it to an end. Just my thoughts.
yeah but I didn't actually SEE the dogs just suspected them because before he moved in nothing had gotten them. PLUS if it was a coyote pack they would have eaten the ducks not left them laying every where. It was very heartbreaking but I didn't see them do it so I couldn't shoot them or anything BUT I did see their tracks in around the goldfish pond and NO dog around here was as large as they were so I KNEW it was them this time.

My favorite boy looking too proud of himself
cool.png
He was getting along just fine in a pen with his brother and eight girls until they all hit 14 months, then this guy decided he was done sharing and had his poor brother hiding in the darkest corner of the coop wedged behind an eggbox ALL beat up. Does anyone know how to run multiple roosters successfully?

I have separate sections for the hens and roosters. Until I start to breed them. I have different breeds and had quit a few roosters together. Only moderate picking and fighting. Then when I breed I put them in separate pens. Long story short. More rooster together the better actually. But once you throw hens in the mix all bets off. It wont work with 14 hens and 2 roosters together. The dominate rooster will take charge. Hence the fighting. Roosters together will share food, water, treats and housing. They WILL NOT share hens!! Think of it as if another guy moved into your house (if you are male LOL) and tried to get with your wife or GF. That wouldn't happen would it? Same thing.
wink.png
They are very protective over there hens. They will die protecting them.

I have a few of the Reese line of Rhode Island Reds for sale. They are around 6 months old. Pick up only. I have not been on here in awhile but read through several pages of the thread and got caught up...great pics

yeah but I didn't actually SEE the dogs just suspected them because before he moved in nothing had gotten them. PLUS if it was a coyote pack they would have eaten the ducks not left them laying every where. It was very heartbreaking but I didn't see them do it so I couldn't shoot them or anything BUT I did see their tracks in around the goldfish pond and NO dog around here was as large as they were so I KNEW it was them this time.
Game camera or the 3 sss someone spoke on this thread once upon a time.

Saw three nice size coyotes at 7:00 this morning while I was letting the dog out. Hmmm, guess going to have to fix me some bait since I see where they are traveling from. Had one pooped in the drive the other night so know they are too close, coming to my pear tree at night, keeping my dogs stirred up they can't see them but they are smelling them. Won't nuthin' be safe with them this close including the cats.

Saw three nice size coyotes at 7:00 this morning while I was letting the dog out. Hmmm, guess going to have to fix me some bait since I see where they are traveling from. Had one pooped in the drive the other night so know they are too close, coming to my pear tree at night, keeping my dogs stirred up they can't see them but they are smelling them. Won't nuthin' be safe with them this close including the cats.
That's for sure!!

Back
Top Bottom