The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

i know its not a pure bred rhode island but can someone tell me if its a pullet or cockeral? 8weeks old
At this time it appears to be a pullet but even at i weeks is sometimes to early with some birds give it another r weeks and you should be able to tell for sure.I have a RIR that was purshased a pullet it i weeks old now w weeks ago it started showing roo agression toward the other young ones the same age *Spreading it neck feathers* and so on at the others but it comb still at this time looks like a pullet .

When they are at that age they are chest bumping and displaying. Both male and females are working on establishing their pecking order even at a couple month of age. They boys don't know they are boys yet and the girls the same.
Thanks cmom for clearing this up for me my hubby said the same ,they ate just trying to SET a pecking order Lol one will not even let another one get mear me if she can help it I call it a to much display of sibling im gonna get to mom first atitude *question *when a rooster starts to crow does he UNDERSTAND that he is a male yet??

Thanks cmom for clearing this up for me my hubby said the same ,they ate just trying to SET a pecking order Lol one will not even let another one get mear me if she can help it I call it a to much display of sibling im gonna get to mom first atitude *question *when a rooster starts to crow does he UNDERSTAND that he is a male yet??
I would say yes. Start to watch him. Usually if there pullets in there the cockerels will start to get aggressive with them. That's when they come out.

When the males start to crow they are figuring out they are different. I leave them together but when the males start to crow them I move the males to a bachelor coop and pen. As long as they have been together and there are no females they get along pretty well.

I have always separate the males and females as soon as I can. The less the boys know about the girls the better in my book. Once they start that breeding act they will try to with any thing.

Yep this is so true most of the time when you put young males together and they dont know the breeding act yet they will get along and I agree the less they know the better lol I keeping a close eye on them daily I have a breeding roosyer in a separate pen he will be t months old coming up month and right now he inly know that he is*crowing* different Lol !

I do enjoy listening to the boys when they are first learning to crow and how funny they sound. My young boys are quite a ways off from starting to crow. They are just now starting to loose their peeps and get their adult voices. The older adult birds I don't worry about as they go into their coops good at night. The youngsters are starting to, but still need a little coaxing. I don't shut the pop doors on the adults coops at night, and all of the coops and pens are electrified and covered. So far no losses. I do shut the youngsters in at night.

Back
Top Bottom