The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Got my chicks from Mr Horstman last week........ I don’t know but it seams like RIR are becoming hard to get a hold off just like Barred Rocks, luckily after some long intensive search I was able to locate some breeding stock for both mention breeds in the fall

RIADAchicken_capozzi.jpg

41488_don_nelson_ririrr_640x480.jpg

t-389439812.jpg

d7ca.jpg

4d8f.jpg

After two days of thinking of how I would start a new thread I came up with this title the Official Heritage Rhode Island Red Site.

This site is going to be different than any thread ever put on this web site under the name of Rhode Island Reds. This site will start off with a picture of a simbel that many of you have never seen. It is in a small city in Rhode Island and it is a simbel of our beloved Heritage Rhode Island Reds from the mid 1920s called the RHode Island Red Monument. The Rhode Island Red that was farmed and started in Rhode Island and is the State bird of Rhode Island. At one time when this monument was first built and placed on this site there were 5000 Rhode Island Red Club members and over 45,000 subscribers to the Rhode Island Red Journal which was the newsletter of the Rhode Island Red and the Rhode Island Red Club of America. Now how many Rhode Island Reds where alive in this time period maybe a half a million.

Today the Rhode Island Red large fowl with the single comb is a very rare breed of poultry. Maybe during the months of January and February you might be able to count 200 adult birds and during the summer months maybe there will be a thousand in the USA. That is very rare.

The Rose Comb Rhode Island Red which is the same bird for type and color as the Singe Comb may have only about 50 during the winter months. They are not all gone but so scarce.

These Rhode Island Reds which I am talking about are not the kind you buy in a feed store or order from most common Hatchery Catalogs. These are called Production Reds. They are not breed to the Standard of Perfection and if they were entered in a poultry show a judge would have to disqualify most of the birds entered. Many call them Rhode Island Reds but they are far from the breed that was invented in the 1850s and that where once the number one popular breed in the country if not the world.

So with that said, I will try to steer this thread on the old fashion dark dark feathered Rhode Island Red that has a brick shape which is unique to the breed. If you come on here and post a picture of your production reds that is ok, but those who will learn what they really look like will refresh their minds in what I am trying to demonstrate and teach to you. I am not going to try to convert you from production reds to the Heritage Rhode Island Reds. However, there is about 1% out there who want the real true to breed Standard Rhode Island Reds.

In this thread we will try to help you get started with them if you really want to breed them and then try to teach you how to breed these rare birds for color and breed type. Its not that hard to do. There is just laws in breeding you have to follow and if you do what has been passed down by our old timers the masters you in time will reach success.

I will now post a few pictures of some of my favorite pictures I have been sent this year and then as this thread develops I will get you in touch with the few master breeders to try to help you locate them and get started this fall. If you have the old fashion dark brick shaped Rhode Island Reds please post your pictures for us or tell us stories of someone you may have know who once had this old time breed. We had such success with the Heritage Large Fowl Site I thought I would try to introduce you to the Real Rhode Island Reds that a few of us have breed over the last twenty years. Bob
I just accidentally opened this thread. I hope it is still active. I have been searching for the last 5 years to find a true HRIR breeder. I am in love with the 1946 line but getting chick's is impossible. Any response is appreciated. Thank you and have a beautiful day.

If anyone e raising heritage rir near Joplin Missouri I need to replace my old hens. Well, really just get some young enough to hatch chick. I lost my roosters last winter and at past five my girls are too old

Here are a couple of my birds. For anyone looking for nice Reds go to a poultry show and often the breeders will bring some nice sale birds.
This female Single Comb Red is an offspring from my originals I got from Matt Ulrich years ago (Reese line). She was a champion. Here she is on champion row waiting to get her picture taken.
IMG_3456Rev.JPG

I also raise Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds. Here is one of my young males.
IMG_20180224_132919.jpg

Some of my Single Comb young males. Also descendants from the birds I got from Matt Ulrich.
2014-10-07 11.26.20.jpg

Here are a couple of my birds. For anyone looking for nice Reds go to a poultry show and often the breeders will bring some nice sale birds.
This female Single Comb Red is an offspring from my originals I got from Matt Ulrich years ago (Reese line). She was a champion. Here she is on champion row waiting to get her picture taken.
View attachment 2845139
I also raise Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds. Here is one of my young males.
View attachment 2845148
Some of my Single Comb young males. Also descendants from the birds I got from Matt Ulrich.
View attachment 2845149
Truly beautiful. :frow It has been a long time

Back
Top Bottom