The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

My broody LF Heritage RI hen hatched seven of the eight eggs she was setting on. I'm so proud of her, this was her first family, she is just 11 months old.

I dont know of any one in Oregon use to be some good ones in the 1960s but all the
masters are dead. I will have to ask some of my friends in Washington that i grew up with if they have a source. You got to remember just because they are dark dont mean they are worth a hote. Some guys get birds and cross them up and they are not worth a hoot.You do not want to get anything unless they are worth having that is breed like the strains I have talked about. Be patient we all have to wait till we get what what we want. It took me four years to get these Reds down in my area and in two years they should be all over America. You can not get this stuff from a catalog or a feed store. Eggs started chicks they will be available in due time. bob

Had to put down one of the niece's RIR RC bantam hens just now. A few weeks back she went down, when we found her she had white urate all over her vent area, partial paralysis, she would keep flopping over on her side would not walk or stand. I was freaked out thinking white diahrrea disease but she got better after just a couple of days, and showed no other signs (comb and wattles/face bright and clear, eyes good, breathing perfect, appetite, etc.). None of the other birds got sick. She was a nice little hen and closest to weight and also probably the best keel so decided to try her again. I went out to check on the birds before bedtime and there she was- exact same position, same white urates, everything else fine.

When I dissected her saw that her abdomen area looked almost bruised inside (as I was looking from the outside). It was greenish in color, but not like a bruise I had ever seen before. When I looked inside, a part of what looked like fat in her intestine looked strange so I opened it and out squirts bright green fluid. It had stained the inside of the abdomen wall, very strange. anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Too bad to lose a good productive nice little hen that the kids love, would at least like some answers... hoping some of the knowledgeable folks here can help.

Here is a couple of pictures of my Don Nelson line that are 6 wks 1 day old. These are the ones I hatched from Dinahmoe's eggs. Still have all 10. I just put them out today since our weather is getting nicer.

Here is a couple of pictures of my Don Nelson line that are 6 wks 1 day old. These are the ones I hatched from Dinahmoe's eggs. Still have all 10. I just put them out today since our weather is getting nicer.

Lol Jimmy, have you broke the 200 bird mark this year yet? You crack me up!

Oh and I finally got me some reds again to play with!
Chris

Lol Jimmy, have you broke the 200 bird mark this year yet? You crack me up!
Oh and I finally got me some reds again to play with!
Chris

Hey you, you're not to far behind. ha,ha,ha. Gotta love these reds. Somewhere between 150 and 200 right now "BUT!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS IT" AND I MEAN IT CHRIS. LOL I'm putting the incubators away by the 5th of next month. I may even lock the door to the room where I put them and give someone the key to keep till next year. I'm not looking at any more auction sites etc.
Thanks for the response anyway buddy. I'm really laughing at what you wrote. lol
Jim

Look at that one in the front left of the first picture. You can see the brick shape already. You should see it that young. If it's not apparent when they're young it will never be there. I see type on birds from this strain when they go from the incubator to the brooder.

Quite a few of them look like that Bill. I think it is just the different ways that they are standing that it doesn't show up as well. Thanks for your comment, I'll really be watching them close.

Notice the color in the beak and leg on these chicks. This is a good example for lurkers who come to this thread to see the difference to Heritage Standard Breed Chicks and the Production Reds you get at the feed stores. One thing I was reading yesterday in a old 1923 Rhode Island Red Journal and it made me think of some of those who want high egg production in Reds was lack of hatchability in high egg laying reds. Leghorns can lay lots of eggs and yet there eggs hatch very well the reason they are breed that way as Leghorns. High egg lay ing strains of Reds in the 1920s had poor fertility but more than anything else poor hatchability. If you where a farmer you made money on eggs but took a beating if you sold chicks. That is why fellows who had strains that averaged about 200 eggs per year had the best all around strains. The ended up with more profit with less loss of females dieing with ruptured ova ducks and hatched more chicks because the female was not stressed out. Glad to see the Don Nelson Strain out their and remember if you get a chance enter them in a poultry show. Show off your birds and you may end up on champion row. Bob

Hello. I just got a RIR rooster and three pullets from a family that was moving out of state. They are somewhere around 6 months old. I was curious to know if these look like breeder type RIR or just typical hatchery birds? The Rooster seems to be getting some nice color. I would love to have some true Heritage RIR but would like to know where my RIR falls as far as breed standards.

Thanks,

John

Back
Top Bottom